Who does the planning?

Sparkle

As hubby likes the driving and I daren't take over the wheel for fear of hitting something and then being blamed for it (that way if we do hit anything then he has to be driving, ergo it's not my fault....)..... I have taken on the navigating......

I enjoy this, and have been known to search the web for idea sof places to go, Trip advisor being very good on hints and tips of towns and restaurants to visit (if we don't fancy a cosy night in the motorhome). I also commit the crime of writing on our maps if we go on a very good road which is worth seeing again, or marking campsites, as I have yet to find the perfect campsite book - most just have a few overseas locations and nothing near to the actual number which exist. I also mark up potential wild camp spots, and ones we have stopped on as well.....as having the memory of a very small blonde goldfish I know this will help me in the future!!

As a result of such planning we have done some 'wicked' trips and seen scenery which we would have missed out on had we not turned off roads on the advice of a travel review, or just by wanting to avoid the motorway.

Sometimes its good to eat the miles, but when we get time we like doing the detail as well. Plus if its me that plans it all it doesn't matter as hubby doesn't know when I have got us lost!!

Guest Tracker

What's a plan?

A plan for us is only a starting point and needs to be abandoned as soon as any whim to change direction and explore comes along - including the great joy of reversing half a mile out of a narrow dead end country lane!

unfortunately there has to be a finishing point as well Richard, my most advanced plan usually goes something like Hull <> then again weeks later !

Stopping at Waitrose for grub going out and brekkie coming back!

tho sometimes we decide to try and get to a particular spot at some point in the trip

B-)

I used to do all the navigating - but now we share the driving

could look at maps for hours - fascinating things -

I like the old ones with 'here be dragons' on them as well

Tracker - 2007-11-02 1:26 PM

What's a plan?

A plan for us is only a starting point and needs to be abandoned as soon as any whim to change direction and explore comes along - including the great joy of reversing half a mile out of a narrow dead end country lane!

Oh I'm not denying we've done that too..... as hubby doesn't really like being told what to do all the time... theres only so much I can get away with!! ;-)

Guest Tracker
twooks - 2007-11-02 1:02 PM

unfortunately there has to be a finishing point as well Richard, my most advanced plan usually goes something like Hull <> then again weeks later !

Stopping at Waitrose for grub going out and brekkie coming back!

tho sometimes we decide to try and get to a particular spot at some point in the trip

B-)

I used to do all the navigating - but now we share the driving

could look at maps for hours - fascinating things -

I like the old ones with 'here be dragons' on them as well

If you want dragons Jackie come to Wales - but wherever I go the one thing I do ensure is that I NEVER end up in Hull!

don't do Calais - that means Kent and all that that entails - not a chance,

have been booking in advance with Tesco vouchers up to now, [well for several years anyway] will need to keep an eye on price changes for late bookings for future years.

B-)

Sorry everyone. Cherry & I do not do 'unplanned'. I have to have a route, timings and a set plan, which is allowed to be strayed from if need be, but I do like to know what I am doing each day and where we have planned to go. Sad I know but we like it that way!!

Regards Mike

Guest Tracker

Much as in another well aired thread - who does what is only important to each individual.

It matters little as long as we all get value and enjoyment from whatever way we go about our jolidays.

One man's delight is another man's folly.

Simple really init?

Typical planning meeting in the Tomo house.

Me: " I've been having a look in MMM magazine and there are some interesting ideas for time away in the van. Here's one for Holland, do you fancy it, say next week-end. I've had a look at the maps and priced up the ferry. It sounds great, shall we go?"

Ann:"Mmmm! Let's have a think and we'll see!"

Me;" Ok then I'll get on the forum and see if anyone's been there before".

Ann: "No just leave it for now and let's have a proper think".

Me:" Yes but we need to get going with this, it is only next week!"

Ann: " Oh, NEXT week? No we can't go then, there's not enough time to sort everything out. Just forget it and we'll look at somewhere else in a few weeks."

End of meeting!

So to answer your question, I plan and Ann vetos. Simple really, and there's no arguments and no problems with currency, ferries or breakdowns!

;-)

A lot of our trips have started with a photo.

We have very often visited outdoor shows at the NEC and seen photos of lovely scenery, usually on the continental stands.

I found out where the place was and that became our objective.

One of the best places we found in that way was the Ordesa National Park in the Spanish Pyrenees, which we had never heard of before.

For those who haven't been there it's like Europes 'Grand Canyon' ( but on a smaller scale).

In the days when we had to work yes a certain amount of planning was needed and I enjoyed it as part of the fun, but now hubby says we are never on a wrong road just a different one, never thought I'd here him say that, but it take's any disagreements out of travelling now. Carol.

I'm content to do the lot, from preparing the van, planning every aspect of the trip, all the driving, all the cooking and maintenance/servicing en-route and cleaning and clearing everything to put the van to bed when we get back. My wife just has to come along, relax and enjoy herself. I prefer to plan all the routes pretty thoroughly, prepare route cards, menus etc., research each overnight stop and all the touring/walking areas in advance. Each location always has a researched "plan B" site and a roughly worked "plan C" site. Fortunately, I quite enjoy the planning!

Bob

P. S. Oh yes, I get loads of good ideas from this forum!

Usinmyknaus thats really lovely have to say my hubby is like that also with the camper not so up on the planning it.

Once I say lets go or shall we go he packs sorts makes beds flasks all done the lot cameras sat navs watches clocks kitchen sink the lot .

really sweet eh boy I suffer the rest of the trip and when we get home with all the crap that comes out of it after

I envy a little those, like Syd, who can just jump in and go but because we spend a relatively small amount of time in the van, what with family/home/work commitments etc, when we are away I find that prior planning generally makes for a happier experience for us and as I say, I do quite enjoy the planning and research anyway.

I think a key thing with MHs though is doing what works well for each person and crucially, what each is comfortable with.

Sounds like Michele's husband has a similar approach to me i.e. each trip is also an opportunity to provide a restful and fun time for our other halves who work very hard the rest of the year.

One other factor why I plan is security. We try to use Aires and municipal sites as much as possible on the continent and as a newbie, I took careful note of the advice given by others on this forum and it has stood us in good stead. Thorough research of the guides recommended in forum threads, plus internet searches, has yielded happy experiences at overnight stops and no frights so far.

Bob

malc d - 2007-11-05 12:19 PM

A lot of our trips have started with a photo.

We have very often visited outdoor shows at the NEC and seen photos of lovely scenery, usually on the continental stands.

I found out where the place was and that became our objective.

One of the best places we found in that way was the Ordesa National Park in the Spanish Pyrenees, which we had never heard of before.

For those who haven't been there it's like Europes 'Grand Canyon' ( but on a smaller scale).

Ours sometimes start like that too.... and then I source info on other interesting places along the way, and if we make it to them then great, or we might see something else along the way which looks better.

Archived