Windscreen wipers when off road

roverman

A few years ago when we were in Spain I noticed that the Spanish used corks from wine bottles to keep the wiper blades off the screen to save them from getting set in one angle.

Having tried this during the winter when the van was off the road I found it worked for me and eliminated the squeal when they were in use. If you drive away and forget to take the cork out as soon as you use the wiper they drop with out effecting the operation. :-D

Guest Tracker

Brilliant idea William, I wonder where I could get an abundant supply of corks from? Any ideas?

Would also work in the winter to stop wipers freezing to windscreen if you are unfortunate enough to live where you get frosts.

Guest Tracker
I don't lay my van up for the winter as we use it all year, but it matters not whether the van is in or out of use as the corking idea is a real corker and so cost effective too!

Guest Tracker
piote25mx - 2007-11-02 4:24 PM

any homebrew shop ,remember to put a lenth of cord on each and tie it to the wiper arm

You surely don't mean go out and BUY some corks I hope David?

Tracker - 2007-11-02 4:27 PM

piote25mx - 2007-11-02 4:24 PM

any homebrew shop ,remember to put a lenth of cord on each and tie it to the wiper arm

You surely don't mean go out and BUY some corks I hope David?

can you buy just the cork then :->

B-)

This is a time-honoured wheeze and I'm pretty sure it was mentioned fairly recently in MMM's "Interchange" columns in an inquiry about extending the longevity of wiper-blades. From what I recall GC advised that the best ploy was to remove the blades during extended periods of vehicle non-use and store them out of the light.

I've used the 'cork trick' for years using synthetic corks rather than natural ones (though there's no shortage of either type Chez Uzzell!)

Derek Uzzell - 2007-11-02 7:11 PM

This is a time-honoured wheeze and I'm pretty sure it was mentioned fairly recently in MMM's "Interchange" columns in an inquiry about extending the longevity of wiper-blades.

True and I remember reading it ages ago but I guess this proved that it's still worth while repeating things that "everybody knows" I had forgotten all about it and this thread prompted me to hang onto a couple of corks and try it out. Yes it works perfectly so I'm glad it was posted again. Thanks William. At present only one post so come back and "talk" to us again.

:-D

I have no troubles with the wipers sticking as the are kept clear of the screen, I have to take the van off the road due to my wife being unable to camp in the cold because of illnes. I used to camp 12 monthe a year but now have to make do with memories. :-(

The Spanish use the corks to prevent the wiper rubbers sticking when they get so hot the rubber almost melts. Found that out many years ago with cars driven into that hot area. Even had the door capping leather lift when parked up. It does get very hot in their summer *-)

For a supply of corks, I have a half filled 5 gallon glass acid bottle of corks. Empty it every year (lol)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
When I park I switch the wipers on and turn the key to OFF when the wipers are half way up the screen, then the rubber is turned over to the oposite way to where it was when parked, so no juddering noises from hardened rubber blades. Simple like me.

Archived