Winkles

Wingpete

flicka - 2007-03-22 10:52 PM

So Wingpete, back to the 60's

Winkle Pickers ?

Flicka (lol)

Reminds me of the end of the 1960s when Middlesbrough town centre was being redeveloped. In one street of shops which were being demolished there were a number of shoe shops which were all part of the British Shoe Corporation.

Charlie Clore, boss of BSC, had famously bought stacks too many winkle pickers (which went out of fashion very quickly). When the first shop to be demolished had its closing down sale, boxes and boxes of winkle pickers appeared - and they moved down the street as each shop after the other closed down.

Dunno whether he sold any but he must have had them in a warehouse for years trying to unload them :-)

Graham

twooks - 2007-03-23 12:11 PM

hey G, thought you were a relative newcomer to the smogland, you done bin there yonks. :->

B-)

I came here temporarily for college in 1968 with the idea that I'd move elsewhere to make my fortune. Trouble is I met Jill (who is local) and she made me stay. :-D

Great place Middlesbrough - as soon as you learn where the roads out are (lol) (lol) (lol)

Graham

starspirit - 2007-03-25 6:06 PM

Does that mean that Middlesborough is nicer than Fleetwood, Grimsby, Hull or Bolton then?

Now there's a question.

About 40 years since I was in Bolton - tried it once, didn't like it :-D

Went to Hull for a family history fair last November - dunno if we'll go back again :-D

Never been to Grimsby or Fleetwood so can't comment.

One of the roads from Middlesbrough leads to Redcar though - Top Deck sort of place that is (lol)

Graham

Guest starspirit

Ah yes I remember Redcar! We too went there once and it was the first time my son beat his old man at pitch and putt, bowls and tennis.

Ungrateful little s#d - so we never went there again although all these games were very cheap at the municipal park.

starspirit - 2007-03-25 7:35 PM

Ah yes I remember Redcar! We too went there once

Hope you had a Lemon Top :-D

it was the first time my son beat his old man at pitch and putt, bowls and tennis.

First time? Were there more then? And has the old man beaten the son since? :-D

all these games were very cheap at the municipal park.

Years since I've been in the park. We normally go down the High Street and the Prom - Goodswen's pork pies or Pacitto's Lemon Tops depending on the weather.

Graham

Does that mean that Middlesborough is nicer than Fleetwood, Grimsby, Hull or Bolton then?

Fleetwood is a disaster area unfortunately - it has been allowed to run down - which is shame cos there's loads of free street parking for your van - and it is one of the tram terminii. There was a ferry to Knot End - keeps closing and reopening and closing. Used to be an excellent spanish restaurant there.

[This info is about 3 years old - so - they may have had some european money since then - it worked wonders on Morecambe's front]

Grimsby - dunno

Hull - has an excellent museum - and one of the smartest public loos I've seen. It's also got an excellent ferry service to the civilised part of Europe :-> :->

Bolton - ?? which one ?? Bolton Abbey's nice, so's Bolton by Bowland, or here http://preview.tinyurl.com/ll91, or perhaps you are referring to Bolton-le-Moors :-> :D

B-)

Nice try Rich, I don't live in Hull ;-) I'm in the posh part, aka Cottingham.

Hull centre is being totally transformed at the mo so I'd avoid it like the plague if I were you for at least another year but when it's all finished it should be pretty good. The museums are very, very good though (and free!).

If you like swimming with the fishes you really ought to visit The Deep - the jellyfish, seahorses, sharks and especially the rays are lovely - they swim up to you so you can tickle their noses!!!!

Go to their website if you're interested at: www.thedeep.co.uk

Spent 6 months working at ACF in Hull, first hotel was a converted warehouse that had won some award for best conversion, I hated it, next was the Post House next to river, an interesting area 8-) went in local pub where a lady who was shall we say aged jumped on table and started stripping, not sure what she was wareing underneath but it needed ironing (lol) ended up at Beverly Arms for 5 months, not a bad town except when the squadies where on the beer.

colin - 2007-03-26 8:38 PM

went in local pub where a lady who was shall we say aged jumped on table and started stripping.

I have a mate who is a contract electrician and was working in the Hull area a couple of years ago. He reckoned the speciality of the pub he went in was ferret roulette. Apparently this involves a length of drainpipe mounted something like a compass needle within a circle which has numbers like a roulette wheel. A ferret is put into the drainpipe which is then spun and the winning number is the one which the ferret emerges onto.

Seems the people of Hull have unusual pleasures (lol)

Graham

twooks - 2007-03-26 9:30 PM

sounds like Ardwick - or p'raps Loftus / Skinninggrove area ???

B-)

You haven't had a mis-spent youth there as well as Redcar have you? I aren't half glad I've led a sheltered life, avoiding fleshpots like that (lol)

Graham

Archived