alarm buzzer

hideyspidey

Hi, we have a 1996 Peugeot pilote galaxy motorhome. Yesterday I had a stereo fitted and all was good. Today I went to start it up and as soon as ignition came on there was a loud buzzer noise. Like an alarm inside. Very noisy in the glove box. Anyway she started up OK but the noise continued with the engine running. I went back out later and it did the same bit this time of left the engine running. the buzzer eventually went off.is This normal?? There were no lights on, no step out etc. It never did this before. Thanks

Do you have a motorise step which is sticking in the out position?

There is usually a buzzer to warn that the step is out when you start engine.

Oh. See you have checked this but is the step going fully home each time to deactivate the alarm?

The trouble is that over the past 19 years various owners may have fitted all sorts of extra goodies.

My old Mercedes had three previous alarms with relays and extra wiring that took ages to sort out. My old land rover has a spaghetti of wiring behind the dashboard that is a nightmare and fire risk.

The recent stereo fitting is clearly the problem, so I'd start with the fitter and see where he took the leads from. Otherwise find the source of the noise and trace it back to either the starter battery, or the leisure battery, find out which by disconnecting the leisure battery and see if the noise persists.

I'll be taking the dashboard off my Land Rover when the weather gets warmer, as I've taken the roof off.

You are right , it was a mess behind there. It transpires that the loud buzzer alarm was from the step even though it was in. We disconnected the buzzer and lost power to the step, then we reconnected back up and still had no power to step so we have disconnected it again. Alas, no step but more importantly no constant buzzer.

It seems that under the dash there is the remnants of several stereos, a gas alarm, an i ndicator buzzer relay and loads of spare wires.

It will get sorted but at least its now drivable.

Many thanks

Archived