autotrail 2nd battery

frenchman

Hello all, has anyone fitted a second battery to an Autotrail? I found the harness to plug second battery

in and will get loom from seargents. My question is the harness plug looks like the ends have white plugs

in them. Do they get pushed out of the way when i plug in harness, or do i have to hook them out?

All answers grateful !

:-D

When I did this on an Autotrail, and I presume you mean one with the outside locker big enough for two batteries, I fitted the second battery securely then unbolted the existing connection from one battery terminal of the first battery and attached it to the same polarity terminal on the second battery.

I then connected + to + and - to - to interconnect the two batteries using suitable length pre made (with ring terminals) red and black battery starter lead with a pair of battery terminal clamps purchased from a local car shop - or Halfords.

Connecting this way ensures both batteries are used together rather than one being a slave to the other which means they might last a wee bit longer - in theory anyway - and to work best you need two batteries of the same construction type (ie lead acid), similar capacity and similar age and condition or the weakest battery will simply drain the better one thus defeating the object.

Hope that all makes sense!

It never occurred to me to try to get a wiring loom!

Keithl - 2015-03-23 11:54 AM

Tracker - 2015-03-23 11:32 AM

It never occurred to me to try to get a wiring loom!

Just plug one of these in and job done...

http://sargentshop.co.uk/epages/eshop328964.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop328964/Products/WB1022

Keith.

Duh!!

At least my way didn't cost anymore and I still prefer to connect two batteries as described, especially if one is going to fit a 600 watt inverter which I did!

However for the OP I reckon the Sargent way would be easiest!

Archived