battery warning light

clifford60

Hi all, Yesterday, out of the blue, the battery warning light on my 1996 1.9td came on without the keys in the ignition or the engine running. Does anyone have any clues as to the cause. I disconnected the battery to see if the light would reset but it is still on. When I start the vehicle the light goes out as normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ian.

On-line received-wisdom seems to be that, if the battery charge-warning light illuminates when the vehicle’s ignition is not switched on, it’s likely to be due to an earthing fault.

You could carry out a basic check to confirm that the alternator is properly charging the starter battery when you have started the motor and the charge-warnng light goes out, but that won’t help identify why the light is permanently on.

Best you consult an auto-electrician I think.

Cheers Derek, I've decided to try the old and trusted method of leaving it alone. It is not having any detrimental effect on starting the van so I think I'll drive it around a bit and hope that the vibration or pot holes do the trick before I get oily. However, MOT due at the end of the month so a juditial bulb removal may be required to get it through. We'll see how it goes. Many Thanks, Ian.

Hi all, Further investigation with multimeter shows the alternator is not putting out a charge. In my limited experience, when the alternator stops charging, the battery light normally comes on whilst the engine is running. However, this is my first diesel vehicle. Do the same rules apply? If it transpires that the alternator has given up the ghost, does anyone know of a reliable supplier. The van is a 1996 Ducato 1.9td with a 230 A3.000 engine. Ian

Ian,

It sounds slightly odd to me that the light is on with the ignition off and that the light goes out when you start the engine.

But exactly WHEN does the light go out? When you turn the ignition on OR when the engine actually starts to run?

I suspect as Derek previously posted you have a wiring or earth fault in the charge light circuit.

Try removing the charge light wire from the alternator and check for voltage with and without the ignition turned on (engine NOT running) and report back your findings please and we'll take it from there.

Keith.

Over the past 19 years previous owners will have added and removed accessories including alarms, immobilisers, radios, and other bits. My guess is that the battery lead is still live when the ignition is off. Which has given you a timely warning that your alternator is defunct. I have had alternators fail on me in the past and been caught out because the warning light has been feint as there was a small current still coming through.

Hi all, I think I said in an earlier post that I'm low on patience. All the checks and tests that I've done lead me to believe that the alternator is defunct. Therefore, I'm taking the van to my local garage for repair. They may spot something that I've missed when they get it on the ramp but I think a new alternator will be required. The existing one looks original which means I'ts given 18years good service. I don't think it owes me anything. I'll let you all know how it goes at the garage. Many thanks for your advice. Ian

Hi all, Further to my last post, I've been told the alternator is kaput. Apparently, the battery warning light staying on when ignition is switched off is indicative of a defunct diode pack. Repair requires a full alternator recondition or replacement. Therefore, I am currently in pursuit of a replacement. Has anyone had any experience with an outfit called Mister Auto.co.uk? Any information would be useful as they seem to be one of very few suppliers with alternators for 1996 Ducatos in stock. Many Thanks to all for your advice. Ian

I have no personal experience of buying through Mister-auto.co.uk, but there are some 350 customer reviews here

https://www.ekomi.co.uk/review-mister-autocouk.html

As the complaints often seem to involve slow delivery and/or the parts ordered being wrong or not actually being in stock (despite the website suggesting otherwise), before ordering you might want to check whether the alternator you need is genuinely available.

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/contact.html

Cheers Derek, I finally decided to order the alternator from Manchester Auto Electicals. I spoke to a guy on the phone who assured me that their suppliers had them in stock and that I should expect delivery on Thursday. According to the garage I use, this type of alternator is now discontinued so fellow owners of ageing Fiat M/H's be warned. They are out there but you have to search. Price £70+£10 delivery. The only alternative is a rebuild of the existing alternator. Time, about 3days. Cost £250. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. I'll let you know if anything is untoward with M.A.E. Ian.

Archived