calais to spain

buck111

Hi,We are going to Benidorm on 3 feb We intend staying overnight on the Aire at Calais as we have a late night ferry.Is it safe?We then intend going toll free as much as we can.Someone recomended going to Pau then onto Zaragosa.My question is, is this route mountainous and will there be a chance of lot of snow around.Also what are peoples choices of a toll free route through France.We are in no big hurry just want to take it steady.We have the Aires books so any suggestions for stopovers on route would be welcome.Thank you

I would reckon that there is almost a certainty of there being snow on the Pyrenees at the time you are travelling. However most of the main roads are kept clear regularly and you should have no trouble. You may get a lot of slush thrown up by trucks so maybe keep your distance. The Sompoort tunnel from Pau is quite high up, but is dual carriageway on the Spanish side. It will also stay cold all the way to just outside Valencia as you are high up on the plain. It is always surprising how the temperature rises rapidly in virtually a distance of 10 km as you come down the slope at Segorbe.

If you have concerns then try the route from St Jean de Luz round the side of the Pyrenees. It is not very much longer and is a good alternative.

• 2 weeks later...
Dave225 - 2014-12-12 9:45 PM

I would reckon that there is almost a certainty of there being snow on the Pyrenees at the time you are travelling. However most of the main roads are kept clear regularly and you should have no trouble. You may get a lot of slush thrown up by trucks so maybe keep your distance. The Sompoort tunnel from Pau is quite high up, but is dual carriageway on the Spanish side. It will also stay cold all the way to just outside Valencia as you are high up on the plain. It is always surprising how the temperature rises rapidly in virtually a distance of 10 km as you come down the slope at Segorbe.

If you have concerns then try the route from St Jean de Luz round the side of the Pyrenees. It is not very much longer and is a good alternative.

Regarding the SAINT jEAN way, last time we went we saw three pigs coming down hill other side of road strange? couple of miles later snow started coming down, bit later the road was invisible, just following the trees etc. Stopped and later plough came along,well he went too fast for me and later came upon him getting a truck out which had jackknife. Later on going down the hill with beutifull scenery on right came upon traffic jam which lasted couple of hours , this no problem as got the tea on . Approaching flat terrain the sun came out and roads all clear.One of the best encounters on trips that way, would not have missed it.

• 1 month later...

I recently (Jan), drove from Calais to southern Spain via Rouen across to Chartres & followed the N10 to the border at Hendaye with 4 o/n stops, a very easy run, then on down to Seville all toll free, no problems at all & felt quite at ease all the way. There was a little snow through the Pyrenees but the roads were kept well clear, I have never seen so many snow ploughs at any one time.

Last year I came back via Zaragoza & Pamplona at the end on of March, again problem free.

Archived