electric problems

new2campervans

Ok apologies if you've heard this one before... but .. here goes.... when static lights work pump works cooker works, however plug sockets don't work unless plugged into a mains... as there's not always a mains available can anyone help/advise/ please. Apologies in advance if this is a reoccurring problem.

Regards..

(lol)

You can use an inverter, which changes 12v to 240v, but it will run down your habitation battery.so you will have to find a hook up or drive a distance to replenish it.

Don't worry about negative comments, we all start with a blank sheet.

new2campervans - 2015-05-24 1:07 PM

When it comes to camper vans and electrics yup I'm pretty dumb... is there a way I can make them work without a mains supply?

I strongly suggest you invest in John Wickersham’s “Motorcaravan Manual” book

https://www.waterstones.com/book/motorcaravan-manual/john-wickersham/9780857331243

This should provide you with basic background knowledge of motorhome-related technical issues.

agree with the above....

however, in simple terms, without an EHU most folk run their appliances in a different way.making use of gas and 12v systems...EG.....

a simple kettle placed on the gas hob

small electrical devices (phones, iPads etc) charged using 12v charger

heating and hot water switched to gas

your water pump and heating pump/fan will work automatically from the 12v battery

many TVs run from 12v

• 1 year later...

Yes an old post - I'm sorry, perhaps I did sound a bit harsh [although I added a smiley] but with the facilities and knowledge available on the internet, it really gets me when people are just too lazy to look - and more importantly learn for themselves......and I did actually think it was a wind-up

Much easier to go on a forum, get everybody involved - and in most cases not bother to return!!

This forum is littered with one-off enquiries - and they do normally fall into the dumb question category.

Archived