france taps

torodefuego

Most taps on Aires etc (can't speak for sites!) in Europe tend to be either the Hozelock clip on type or the threaded adapter that converts a threaded tap to take a clip on hose.

We also carry a range of other odd sizes and types that we have collected over the years and not only have we never been beaten but we have never needed a watering can either.

However we do carry a couple of space saving collapsible buckets and if all else fails you can fill the buckets and pour or pump the water into the van's tank.

A couple of 2166s to connect and join, a couple of 2291s to extend your hose(s), a 2100 in case a hose splits, a 2158, 2175, 2176 and 2177 will cover 99% of known taps but there will always be one somewhere that will test your ingenuity!

We only carry two hoses for France each about 20' and have never needed longer but we do also have a 30' hose which has come in handy in Norway and Morocco where taps can be found in some strange locations and for marina taps which can sometimes be hard to get close to.

http://www.hozelock.com/watering/hose-fittings/connect-to-hose.html

http://www.hozelock.com/watering/hose-fittings/connect-to-tap.html

Solomongrundy - 2015-05-13 8:56 PM

This is all we've needed in five years using Aires -

Interesting!

We prefer to join hoses with 'A' and 'D' rather than 'C' as it makes them easier and quicker to join and to separate as needed so all of our hoses have a 'C' on each end and are joined together by up to 3 x 'A'.

I don't know why anyone would need 4 x 'B' as this is the tap connector?

A B & D are used so much that we prefer good quality fittings but I continue to carry the other tap connectors that I mentioned because as they see very little use cheapie versions cost so little and can help avoid so much 'tap angst' every now and again!

1/2”, 3/4” and 1” versions of Adapter B in Solomongrudy’s posting will allow connection to be made to the majority of French taps that have a threaded ‘spout’.

Campsites may have taps with unthreaded spouts and a ‘universal’ type of connector (example in link) may be useful for these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Hose-To-Tap-Connector-13mm-1-2-Inch-With-Jubilee-Clip-Screw-Tight-/171784684350

Adapter A may occasionally be required, as mentioned here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Hose-connectors/24610/

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Water-Connection-Adaptors/34072/

If all else fails, duct-tape may be a life-saver.

Solomongrundy - 2015-05-14 9:20 AM

Tracker - I don't know why anyone would need 4 x 'B' as this is the tap connector?

Have you never left one behind or found one already fitted to the tap? I have.

I call it 'Senior moment' - others call it forgetting.

Fair comment - Yes to both!

But 4? My memory ain't that bad - yet - so we carry two!

And if I do lose or donate one, to a deserving tap, I can easily buy another in any supermarket!

Everytime I see a yellow Hozelock adapter on a tap in France I will know that you are probably not far away!

• 3 weeks later...

See Derek Uzzell above.

Also using the vented water filler cap means you just turn on the tap, wait 10 minutes and turn it off again.

It means you don't have to shove the dirty end of a hose pipe into your filler hole, and we've all seen some fairly ropey hose pipes on Aires and Campsites, so there's very little chance of a sh*tty pipe contaminating your water supply.

And it gives you the chance to have a beer, cup of tea, fag or whatever while it's filling.

Last year I had to translate what it was into French, they'd never seen one before, at a couple of Aires and for once a Brit got a 'merci, monsieur' from a Frenchman!

C'est bon.

The latest HEOS water-filler cap is ‘universal’ and can be adapted according to the filler design and whether or not the fresh-water tank is vented.

http://www.campervanstuff.com/shop_stuff/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=1410

I would be reluctant to advise anyone unfamiliar with this device to adopt a “...just turn on the tap, wait 10 minutes and turn it off again..” philosophy whether or not the HEOS filler-cap and/or the tank is vented.

I’ve encountered mains water supplies with an uncontrollable high-pressure water flow-rate well in excess of what a vented filler-cap or tank could cope with. The vented cap allows air to escape from an unvented tank as water goes in, but it won’t handle a situation when the tank has fully filled with water. Even when the tank itself is vented, as the water going in will usually be more than the tank’s overflow vent(s) can let out, the tank will pressurise when full.

Basically, if you use one of these devices, it would be wise to keep an eye on the filling process.

I have a Fiamma water container and often just use a length of pipe to fill it and then pump it into a van. Therefore it doesn't matter what the tap is like. I never drink any water out of my m/home tank anyway and use a small container of fresh water and boil to use for making drinks.

shaggy - 2015-06-07 8:04 AM

Ah but with what adaptor do you connect your length of pipe to fill your carrier Patricia?

If I use the length of pipe I don't need to connect it to the tap - I just hold it under the running tap and direct it straight into the Fiamma container.

I do have the usual connections for when I am on a serviced pitch but being left-handed I am not good at "screwing" adapters on usually managing to get them cross-threaded and then they leak! For most other tasks I am ambidextrous except for writing and using a screw driver!!

Archived