fridge help please

benimar

Hello, tecno buffs, please can I have some help.

My RV fridge is 110v or Gas. Mad.

I assume I cannot have the gas on whilst driving to power the fridge and obviously stretching a lead from home to any campsite except the one on my drive is impracticle.

I had a brain wave, connect to an inverter from the vans 12v habitat battery, which happens to be in a locker no more than a foot away via direct cable travel to the fridge. Problem the inverter goes from 12v to 240v, how can I, if I can, reduce to 110v to power the fridge whilst traveling.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

I would think the simplest/cheapest solution would be to introduce a 240V-110V transformer (of the type commonly used in the building trade nowadays) between your present 240V inverter and fridge. This type of transformer is very robust, quite inexpensive and widely available. See the following link as an example:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Transformer_Index/Site_Transformers/

Try asking on the Motorhome Matters forum as many of the technically experienced members contribute to that one exclusively and ignore the Hints and Tips one.

Hi, There are a couple of ways you could do this.I can work out the best 110v-240v transformer for you but would need to know the element wattage on your fridge but I would think a 300va transformer would do the job for you, if its the normal size.

I looked up one on Maplins code No up91Y price £29.99. The ones used on buiding sites (I used to sell lots of them) are very heavy and probably to big for your application. If yours is a large fridge freezer then you will need a larger capacity transformer than the one I have suggested. in either case let me know either by PM or on the forum and I will work it out for you

The other thing you could do is get a 12v to 110v inverter from America, this would leave your 240v inverter free, or depending on the make of your fridge change the element to 240v. hope I can be of help Regards Geoff

Really great help, thank you both, I think the best way on the face of it is a 12v/110v inverter, this way I can run the fridge whilst on the run, silly as it sounds mine only works gas and mains.

The 12v habitat battery is on a shelf with space for another next to it, so I think a box here next to the battery housing the inverter would be good.

Please keep the ideas coming, I will not do anything until Peterborough.

Once again many thanks

Hi again,

Thinking about your problem I think the best option would be to change the element for a 240v one. it should not be to difficult to obtain one I do have contacts in this field and may be able to source one for you if you have problems obtaining one, If you give me the appliance details. Regards geoff

Archived