humiliation

ROON

:'( I wish I could whisper this question as I know it is going to be a silly one.... but ... I have just gone in my van and cleaned it. Gone to clear out the cupboard so I can fit two folding chairs in which I got for my birthday, and the floor had moved. Underneath it (the one with the electric meters in) was a round white plastic thing which must be something to do with water because it has a hose pipe connected to it. Can someone tell me what it is please? (I have had the van nearly six months and only just spotted it). Thank you.

I'm guessing a bit because I don't know which Elddis model you have but when you say the cupboard do you mean the wardrobe?

In our Autoquest 100 the wardrobe is above the space heater and its base has a removable panel. This is to give access to the water heater, which is mounted on the floor between the back of the space heater and the outer wall.

Could that be the "round white plastic thing?

Graham

thank you both. It is the water heater (embarrassment). I thought it was something to do with a water pump because when I was on a site I saw a home with a big white drum outside and I thought "Oh. I've got one too." I don't know what his was, but mine won't come out of the bottom of the cupboard (wardrobe) and it has Truma written on it.... so it will be the water heater. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to fill it from somewhere with water. I guess once I start using the shower (have always used the site showers so far ... learning one step at a time) it will all fall into place .... oh for a brain....

Can't see anything in the 2008 manual about filling the water heater in the Autocirrus and the 2003 manual we have only has general instructions for all models.

What I do, after filling the fresh tank, is to open the sink mixer tap in the cold position until water flows freely then swivel it to the hot position. After a bit of coughing and spluttering whilst the heater is filled from the fresh tank the water should run freely again, indicating that the water heater is full.

This means that there could still be a little air left in the pipes to the washbasin and shower taps but that soon clears when they are first used in earnest.

Graham

Joy:

If you turn on any of your motorhome's hot taps and the water flows smoothly from it then the water-boiler is full.

Before using the water-boiler you do need to ensure that it is full of water and, when operated on gas, that the protective 'cowl' is removed from the boiler's intake/exhaust on the outside of the motorhome's bodywork. The cowl should be replaced before the motorhome is driven or when the motorhome is not being used for any length of time. To prevent frost damage, it's also essential that the water-boiler (and the water system generally) be drained of water if very cold weather is anticipated.

Your water-boiler is undoubtedly a Truma B10 unit and (assuming you haven't got them) you should be able to download Operating Instructions for it from Truma's website (www.truma.com). Otherwise get in touch with Truma(UK) (contact details on their website www.trumauk.com) who will be very happy to send you an Operating Instructions leaflet for the B10/B14 boiler.

Derek, Thank you. I wondered what that thingy was on the outside.... it is obviously a cowl.... Everything is beginning to make sense now. So before I use the water heater, remove the cowl.... and just switch on -after checking that the water flows freely. There is no need to fill anything extra up with water than the tank for normal water.

Thanks all. Joy

Hello Joy,

The Elddis handbooks aren't as helpful as they might be are they - probably because they cover all the models instead of just the specific ones (or one for each range).

I haven't seen the handbook for your van (I think you said it was a 2005 or 6 elsewhere) but I've looked at the 2008 version - available for download HERE and note that some of the information is explained more clearly in the 2003/4 version which came with our van.

I have a PDF version of the 2003/4 manual and would be very happy to send you a copy if you would like it. Just drop me a PM with your e-mail address in it and I can send it as an attachment.

Graham

Derek Uzzell - 2008-05-28 7:44 AM

Joy:

To prevent frost damage, it's also essential that the water-boiler (and the water system generally) be drained of water if very cold weather is anticipated

Supprising how many forget this and assume that the main drain valve gets rid of all the water. A mistake I made years ago, and lucky only having to replace the O ring rather than a very expensive water heater.

Archived