lunar champ a630

drewandsue

drewandsue - 2009-04-03 4:40 PM

anybody out there who owns a lunar champ could you please let me know what the payload is it would be much appreciated. oh and by the way it is 2004 registered

Hi DrewandSue

You don't say what model your champ is, But i have just been surfing and found a dealer called Becks Motor Homes and they have a Lunar Champ H591 for sale.

The write up for this motorhome states that this model weighs 3,400kg with a payload of 699kg, if this is your model, but if it is I,am quite jealos of this as my Lunar Roadstar has not got anything like that.

Not that I am trying to get rid of you off this site but another internet site called Motorhome facts seem to have a few Champ owners as members so if you register on this site also you may get some tips

Hope this helps

Terry

drewandsue

Welcome to the forum.

I've now managed to dig out a UK Lunar Champ brochure. This carries a 2003 print-date, so should apply to a 2004-registered A630.

The brochure provides Mass in Running Order (MRO) data defined as "Equivalent to the unladen ex-works weight of the vehicle, plus 90% of the fuel, plus 75kg for the driver".

For a Champ A630 the MRO datum is 2951kg and, as this model had a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of 3500kg, the 'basic' payload would be 549kg (3500kg - 2951kg).

It needs to be emphasised though that the 549kg figure takes no account of 'essential habitation' loads (ie. the weight of fresh water in the motorhome's 100litre tank and the weight of LPG bottles). Nor does it include any allowances for passengers, luggage or accessories (eg. an awning, bike-rack, tow-bar, sat-TV, etc.). It's also certain that Champ A630s leaving the Belgian factory would have varied in MRO to some degree. A more realistic payload figure for an A630 - including allowances for water and LPG - would probably be around 400kg.

An A630 is a fairly substantial vehicle (6.98m long, 3.03m high) and, with people and 'stuff' on board, may well come close to (or even exceed) its 3500kg MAM limit. It's always a good idea to weigh a motorhome in fully-loaded state, to be certain that its MAM and (equally important) its maximum authorised axle-loads are not being exceeded. You can then be sure that you are not operating your motorhome illegally as far as its weights are concerned. It's also useful to know 'full-load' axle-weights as there's a direct link between those weights and safe tyre-pressures. A handy (though somtimes well out of date) list of weigh-bridges is provided on

http://www.chrishodgetrucks.co.uk/pageweighbridge/weighbridgeshome.htm

thanks terry for your reply the model is an a630 i will also try the other site you mentioned (you wont get rid of me that easy ha ha) thanks all the same .

.all the best

drewandsue

You could try getting in touch with Lunar in the UK via contact details on

http://www.lunarcaravans.com

but I'm doubtful that they'll still have advertising literature for motorhomes that are some years out of production.

It's probably not worth you bothering though, as the 2003 brochure I have comprises just 6 pages, deals with the complete Champ range and is mostly pretty photos. There's a minimalist A630 data table, listing dimensions, MAM, MRO, water tank sizes (fresh and waste both at 100 litres), number of passenger seats (3) and bed dimensions (overcab 1.40m x 1.98m, double 1.83m x 2.10m). However, except for the MRO figure and tank capacities, such features can easily be established with a tape measure.

Lunar Champs were straightforward motorhomes, the only thing rather unusual being the use of "Alufiber" for the outer skin of the roof, sides and rear wall of the 'caravan' part of the vehicle. This material offers certain advantages over simple aluminium or polyester sheet and has, quite recently, begun to be used by Rapido. If you GOOGLE on Alufiber you'll find plenty of stuff about it.

Archived