new to motorhomes

john boy

Hi, I will be picking up an elddis suntor 120 using a peugeot 2.2 boxer and me and my partner are hoping to put a scooter rack on the back, but we don't have a tow bar fitted. My partner is worried about the max weight of the the van and overloading it. The scooter weights 92kg, so hopefully we will be under max weight. Any help will be welcome.

cheers john

It is likely you will need a purpose made scooter rack and not a towbar. The scooter plus the weight of the platform etc to carry it is likely to be too heavy for any normal towbar.

Be aware that many vans overload their rear axle before their maximum permissible weight is reached. The weight of the scooter, plus the platform, plus the supporting structure, will inevitably exceed 100kg and, added to the rear of the vehicle, will load the rear axle by more than its self-weight (the difference between the true weight of scooter + rack, and the load it places on the rear axle, will be removed from the load on the front axle - wonderful things, levers!). Proceed with caution, and check all weights and lever affects before you begin spending money.

Archived