scratched windows

robert

I have recently started out with a motorhome and am travelling full time. On some narrow roads I find it "tight" betwen oncoming traffic and the hedgerows. Unfortunately some sharp hedges have made scratch lines to the plastic side windows :-( Any tips/hints on how to remove these would be gratefully recieved. Cheers

Hi All I can say is check what the windows are made from. We have windows made from acrylic and cannot use any "abrasive" cleaner or anything with an alcohol base - even washing up liquid is deemed too strong we have to buy an acrylic cleaner which people say can help the scratches. Due to this the best option is contact the manufacturer. :->

I have used with success Fenwicks "Windowize" a product sold for this very purpose. It requires a fair bit of effort depending on the extent of the scratch, but it works. Waudbys web site is one of many that detail it; and its available at all caravan accessory outlets.

My Bessacarr got it's windows severly scratched on a recent visit to Devon. We got ourselves lost on a tiny single lane track that just got narrower and narrower! The hedges were about 15 feet high and about a foot narrower than the van! We had to keep going to get out. It took about half an hour and when we did the first thing we checked were the side windows. I was distraught to find that both the main side lounge windows were covered in scratches from the branches. We got ourselves into the nearest town and found a car parts supplier. I was looking for a mild 'T-Cut' type of product and came across 'Auto Glym Paint Renovator'. To cut an increasingly long story short, this stuff completely removed all the scratches. Amazing. I think if you were to be too vigorous with the polishing it might be possible to damage the surface a bit, but the windows look like new on my van now. This may not work on all windows, so cautious testing on a tiny area first would be wise. Hope this helps, Jimmy

Hi All, I have always (for 30 years or more), used Brasso to remove all scratches from plastic windows, keep the scratch removing cloth damp with brasso, don't let it dry out and use light circular motions. Works okay without damage to the plastic, I have had the caravans for 10 years at a time and the plastic has always remained in pristine condition, no after efffects of treatment. After removing the scratches, polish with a soft cloth, the windows will look like new. If you are worried by leaving traces of brasso (or silvo), wash window with a mild solution of warm water and the merest suspicion of washing up liquid, dry and polish with a soft cloth again. Regards Terry

I can endorse terry's comments about Brasso. I hesitated for a long time after receiving deep scratches on my nearside ( Acrylic) window but eventually bit the bullet and used Brasso, to excellent effect. Use sparingly, with a iurcular motion and polish off with a clean fluffy rag - works wonders! :-D

Farecla G3 very fine rubbing compound mixed with water works a treat and contains no dodgy chemicals. If it's good enough for finishing car re-sprays i'll stick with it. Also great for polishing gel coat. I use it on my boat. If you use any fine abrasive it must be made with graded grit or you will get swirl scratches.

• 2 weeks later...
I have always used Duraglit, I suspect it is very similar to Brasso. It certainly removes quite deep scratches fairly easily. The small tin is easy to store and a quick polish off with a soft cloth once it has dried makes them sparkle like new. Phil

• 1 month later...
I suffered a couple of deep scratches in my acrylic windows when I was forced to swerve into overhaging vegetation to miss an idiotic tractor driver. Because they were deep, I went straight in with T-cut, and then finished off with Mer. I was a bit worried beforehand but six months later all is still well and my windows are as good as new!

• 3 weeks later...
I too have suffered from the scratched window disease and I am now investigating a lightweight rigid plastic sheet that can be shaped and clipped onto the side windows and left in place whilst on the move. Farecla polishing compound sold by vehicle paint suppliers is brilliant stuff for motorhome windows , 1 ltr tin about a tenner.,but tell them what you want it for and they will give you the right grade. I know why I'm going , but I know not where.

• 1 month later...
Hi Robert I bought a paste called Xerapol after it was advertised in MMM or Caravan Club mag and it was superb. A bit pricey but well worth the money Removed some deep hawthorn scratches off my window in seconds. It also removed a tar skid mark of my laminate floor which wouldn't come off with a number of tried products. After removing the scratches polish your window with Mer and it will look like new. Regards Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Archived