waste water very slow to empty

Guest ajd3

Hi folks, having recently returned from 3 weeks in France using our van for almost the first time (2 nights in August was the first) we had a great time and no problems. the only thing that was a bit of a pain was the time it took to empty the waste water tank.

We have a 1991 Talbot Express Camelot 2l petrol engine, 4 berth. The waste tank is at the back and has a wee tap/valve to the left hand side that the waste dribbles out of. To give you an idea of how long it takes 2 basins of water takes an hour to empty. Is this excessive for this model of van, if so is there something we can do to speed it up?

Any info gratefully received as we are still getting the hang of this campervan lark.

BTW We love the ability to drive onto a pitch, level the van and crack a beer open within minutes, meanwhile watching caravanners and tenters unpacking & faffing about for ages :-D

Hi, it could be blocked with waste food, if it's a barrel tap, remove the tap and put some water through the pipes, if the manufacturer has use ribbed pipe (look inside after removing the barrel tap) it may pay you to change the pipe. also there could be a kink in the pipe somewhere.

you could use some washing soda to remove any grease thats in the pipe.

pete

If it's any help:

Ours is a 1992 Eura Mobil four-berth coachbuilt.

Likewise we have the grey wastewater tank at the rear, with a little metal tap attached to a protruding length of pipe at the rear of it. The pipe bore to this tap is very small, maybe 10mm or so.

But I believe that on our van this is just an additional drain point, perhaps to get the very last of the greay water out should you ever want to completely drain it; because we also have, coming from the side of the grey water tank at the bottom edge of it, a much bigger bore plastic pipe, with one of those "shunt" type valves on it just under the sill of the van, about half way betweem front and rear wheels.

This plastic pipe is maybe 2 inch diameter, and when we want to discharge, we simply open the shunt, and it FLOODS out.

Are you sure you haven't got another drainage vent to your tank somewhere else?

If not, is there anywhere on bottom, or bottom-side of the tank where a larger bore pipe could be fixed in to it?

Cheers,

Bruce.

AJD3

It sounds like there may be a blockage in your waste tank.

Look under the main waste tank, I'm sure you'll find that there is a large screw cap, which should be undone to allow for proper cleaning of your tank. You may also notice that the tap is slightly higher than the bottom level of your tank. Maybe food waste has built up in the main tank.Be careful when undoing this large screw cap, as if there is any waste it will drain out rather quickly.

Not to mention any one particular product, but in the past I've used "Mr Muscle" and poured this down the sink and let it drain into the main waste tank. Then gave it a good flush and it seemed to clear things up. 

Hope this helps.

Thai

Hi,

I once had an Autohomes Avalon, which was a later (and not-so-good) version of the Camelot. I would expect the waste tanks to be similar in construction; the only outlet is the one you can see, with the convoluted black hose and red stop-cock. If it is the same construction, all you can do is back flush the tank and, as has been said, change the hose for a smooth bore to lessen the chance of future blockages. At one time you could buy a chemical powder which, when mixed with clean water and poured down the sink, would dissolve any grease and 'gunge' naturally. It was called 'Unikorn-B' but despite an internet search I cannot trace any retailer who stocks it any more. Anyone know different?

Van's going in for a service on Monday so will do something with the waste tank after that. Would it be ok to put some stuff down the sink, into the waste tank that I use for the kitchen sink (I can't remember what I used previously but no doubt Mr Muscle will have something to do the job) or would there be a risk to the plastic components - hoses etc?

ajd3 - 2007-09-29 11:19 AM

BTW We love the ability to drive onto a pitch, level the van and crack a beer open within minutes, meanwhile watching caravanners and tenters unpacking & faffing about for ages :-D

Only downside is that they all pack up and go while you're still waiting for your waste to empty :-D :-D :-D

ajd3 - 2007-10-04 10:34 PM

Van's going in for a service on Monday so will do something with the waste tank after that. Would it be ok to put some stuff down the sink, into the waste tank that I use for the kitchen sink (I can't remember what I used previously but no doubt Mr Muscle will have something to do the job) or would there be a risk to the plastic components - hoses etc?

I got something called Fendox from the caravan shop.

You can use it neat to unblock pipes, or dilute for freshening grey water tank and cleaning work surfaces etc.

Nice one Ralph! :D

Thanks for all the suggestions you've all come up with, I'll try as many as I need to get it working better.

Archived