water tank filling cap

ROON

It would appear that I am only one of very many people who have problems with this one way or another.

Yesterday I had to call in at Barrons in Culcheth about a matter and they told me that a good suggestion is to put the cap in a pan and cover it with boiling water for a few minutes.

I can't remember what they said this did :-( but anyway.... it worked and I now have a cap which I can remove, put back on and lock... :-D

You can relatively easily dismantle them, but hav eti watch for flying springs and bits. What happens is the locking pin to the outer part jams as the slot it sits in gets distorted by a spring resting against it and needs some plastic shaved off to free it up. Maybe I should offer a service to repair them... could be quite lucrative!. One fault mode is sometimes they won't unlock (The outer part still rotates freely) and can be a problem in getting it off.

The latter was the problem I had too. In the end I took it to a locksmith's shop and he managed to get it off for me .... I don't know how, but it then happened again a few weeks later. The locksmith showed me how to put it back together as when you do manage to get it off, there is a chance it will fall to pieces.... don't lose the little spring inside which jumps out.

That's when I took it to Barrons at Culcheth nr Warrington. They sorted it for me, but I am not sure for how long.

I had however, squirted loads of WD40 into it the day before and they said that maybe that was why they managed to get it off as it had taken so long to work through.

It's infuriating isn't it.... my daughter and I had to keep filling water bottles for our water whilst we were away for a couple of days.

Yes I've got the hose attachement filler cap. It's only used when filling, but I find it a really good addition to the kit. I suspect they come from different suppliers/manufacturers. Mine came from Gillon. They advertise at the back of MMM. It's very lightweight plastic but does the job.

Speaking as someone who always uses all our own facilities, and therefore goes through a lot of water, this particular piece of kit, (the hose attachment cap), is the most useful gadget I've ever bought.

It was from Gillons (back of MMM), and I believe they have now upgraded it so it has a stop system on it for when the tank is full. I put a 6" length of food grade hose, secured by a tiny jubilee clip on the side that goes into the van so it directs the water flow even better.

Martyn

Having reported earlier that the boiling water trick did not work on mine I went back to it a few days later to take it off and use it as the sample for a replacement to find that it was locked and that it now works fine. Either the hot water trick takes time to work, or wd40 eventually freed something or its something to do with the weather. Whatever - I've been saved a few quid !

Archived