which brand of camper van is the best?

rookie

i know this is probably a terrible post but i'm a complete beginner and i'm considering buying a camper van in the next month or so. I'm trying to find out what are the best brands to go for?

I'm going for 2nd hand with a budget of around 20,000 stg

from my research so far i think i'll try and purchase in Germany as there seems to be the best value there.

I'm thinking about a 5 or 6 berth but i think i might run in to difficulties weight wise in that regard as at present i only hold a "B" Class licence which has a 3,500kg cut off point. as far as i know the 3,500kg mark has implications from a duty perspective also.

I want to buy a camper with good extras if that's the right phrase

my priorities are having a/c throughout

separate toilet and shower

Good Storage space

freezer?

Awning

Bike Racks

Sat Nav?

My limited research so far has been daunting to say the least are there any good websites that compare the leading brands or features?

Any advice much appreciated?

:$ :$

Hi cj welcome,

You don't seem to want much for your £20,000 ac throughout seems a bit of a big request . Take no notice of me I'm a novice and not the best to advise you on these things. But I hope you get what you want although for £20,000 I don't think you will get much but thats just my thinking .

Why don't you try again up on the M/H forum just above much more likely to get an answer there . In the meantime good luck and happy hunting ;-)

Your requirements seem too ambisious for 3500kg(in my view), maybe someone has a better sugestion, but I would think you would be looking around 4 berth, combined toilet/shower, fridge with freezer compartment.

Don's right about the book.  I'd suggest you also get brochures from a reasonably reliable manufacturer or two; preferably ones who explain clearly how they calculate their motorhome weights. 

From experience, I'd suggest the Hymer and Burstner catalogues, but do make sure you get the technical supplements.  From these you'll get a fairly clear idea what equipment is included in the "empty weight", or MIRO (Mass In Running Order), of the various models, and therefore what you can add in the way of payload.

Do you want 5/6 berths because you want the space, or because there are that many of you?  If looking at 5/6 berth vans for that many passengers, do be aware that many such seem to have fewer travel seats i.e. belted seats, than they have berths.

Just why that is, is one of the motorhoming world's great mysteries!  Beware, there are others - which is why you need that book!

Jeez thanks guys for all your help, i will order that book thanks for the link

i met a guy yesterday who bought a 2004 6 berth Euramobil for 45,000 euro in Germany recently. I have to say i liked the look of it. he seemed to think that you could drive a camper van up to 7.5 tonne weight on a normal car licence? i dont think thats right though (?) he didnt think much of camper vans with ford chassis/engine he recommended Fiat or Mercedes.

my budget could maybe go to 25 or 26 stg perhaps

At present my immediate family is my wife and my 4 year old boy but i have grand kids that are 6 and 4 respectively (long story! :-D ) so thats why i want to go for the 6 berth to be honest.

the weight issue is a bit complex alright where would i get brochures from the manufacturers? on the web again? i'm in ireland at the moment and we dont have that many genuine camper van dealers over here.

thanks again for all your advice

i'll continue to trawl through the forum for tips etc *-)

With regard to the driving licence it all depends on when you passed your test . Full gen is on the Caravan Club website but if you obtained your licence before 1997 you can drive up to 7.5t if after only 3.5t without an extra test. There are similar changes for trailing loads. Then just when you are pleased to be an oldie you find that at 70 you have to met additional medical requirements if driving more than 3.5t. I expect it will all get tougher as the EU looks at it.

If you really need a lot of beds and space try looking at US RV's. Trouble is you miss half the point of Motorhomes the freedom go anywhere spirit best met in a modest size of van.

Don

Don't worry too much about which chassis it sits on!  There are people who will tell you any of the various makes is rubbish, or perfection, just as with cars.  You will pay a premium for the Mercedes, some claim it is worth it, others are less convinced!

For Hymer UK, from whom you should be able to get the 2007 brochure (but do remember to ask for the technical supplement), go to http://tinyurl.com/2kcnsl

For Burstner, go to http://tinyurl.com/37bvuo and register for one by post, or fish around for a dealership, maybe Barrons - who have quite a few branches so may be more reliable as a source - and give them a ring.  Again, there is a technical supplement giving weights and dimensions.

One thing you'll probably want to check is safety of the passenger seats for young children.  Assuming the driver's and front passenger's seats are already "booked", it is the dinette seats that will need checking.  If they can wear adult belts they'll probably be OK, but if they need boosters or child seats of any kind, it seems few vans have appropriate installations for these.

Also, do look at how far back these seats are relative to where you'll be sitting.  If they start fighting, or are travel sick, or whatever, they won't be within reach from the front!

Hope this helps.

again many thanks for the advice

I've ordered the brochures from those 2 manufacturers plus euramobil.

god those new c/vans lon the websites look the business eh? oh to have the money! but then i suppose if i had that much money i'd be holidaying in way more luxury no? (lol)

i'm 51 so i passed my driving test many years ago! :-S i'll have to check with the driver licensing section here in ireland i suppose to get proper clarification! :-S probably end up spending haly the day talkin to some workie who wont have a clue but hey officialdom is great >:(

starting to think my budget (22 - 26k stg) aint gonna get what i wanted initially vis a vis extras but will keep looking. :$

definitely want the 5 or 6 berth though

thanks again to all of you for the advice

My criteria, probably from a female perspective, as well as the obvious workability of the kitchen, is the amount of floor space available.

Too many vans I have looked at have a narrow 'corridor' down the centre of the van, with barely room for two people to pass.

Try to imagine all of your family inside the van on a rainy day on an English beach, falling over each other and getting even more ratty!

I prefer the L-shaped seating arrangement, which allows you to get out from under other's feet!

Janine

If you manage to get the right van first time it will be a miracle.

You never really see the problems until you live with them and then you start looking around again. But whatever you get, enjoy it.

:->

• 1 month later...

Don't want to be a spoilsport, but I've heard lots of tales about folk who buy larger motorhomes with the intention of taking grandkids away. Only trouble is, they only do it once or twice and are then left with a van that is bigger than they need.

It's a nice idea, but think it through well before spending your hard-earned dosh.

pete lambert - 2007-08-14 5:45 PM

Don't want to be a spoilsport, but I've heard lots of tales about folk who buy larger motorhomes with the intention of taking grandkids away. Only trouble is, they only do it once or twice and are then left with a van that is bigger than they need.

It's a nice idea, but think it through well before spending your hard-earned dosh.

Spot on, Pete - been there, done that, worn the t-shirt, >:-)

Ralph - 2007-07-05 9:05 AM

If you manage to get the right van first time it will be a miracle.

You never really see the problems until you live with them and then you start looking around again. But whatever you get, enjoy it.

:->

Cherry & I managed it when we bought a new (1997) Elddis Envoy (Autohomes Wanderer with upgrades included). So much so that we replaced it with a new Autohomes 150 in January of this year. An identical layout but newer all round. It is a style which siuts us but may not suit others. We did, however, take 2 years to decide on that particular layout!

Regards, Mike & Cherry

• 1 month later...
Poppy - 2007-08-17 9:20 AM

Have you thought of a caravan. They can be much better than motorhomes in some circumstances. You could get all your berths and the sperate washroom/toilet for considerably less than £20.000.

i wish i,d read this earlier i could have sold him mine,now i,ve got a new fiat based m/home with auto engine washing

We bought a Hymer from Germany and you will find your money goes further out there. For £17k we got a 1997 Hymer 534, thats the one with the U shaped lounge, even though the rear makes up a bed big enough for 4 kids, it probably isn't ideal because there are no rear belts. However you could fit some yourself.

IMHO you wont go wrong with the Hymer or any A class, as theyv'e got the pull down bed which means you can go for the shorter model and still get a 4 - 5 berth. Go to www.mobile.de and search for what you want, get info on half a dozen, then go for a weekend drive looking at them.

Have fun, and good luck.

Archived