"half decent" folding camping chairs?

pepe63xnotuse

Afternoon all...

Not a "motorhome" based question but can anyone point us to some "decent-ish" folding chairs(that they have first hand knowledge of?) that aren't 2 for £30 tatt, nor £150 each Lafuma jobs?

We're after the, what I think of as conventional/old style square, flat when folded, type of chairs.

Link to Habitat

Nothing too "precious" because they'll primarily get used on a festival site (and at times, may stay outside the van/tent when we aren't there?)

We've just taken delivery of a pair of cheapie-"they'll do for now" chairs (bought via ebay) but if they last the next two outing without them breaking I will be very surprised!? (lol)

(Link edited to correct page width error - Keithl)

Cheap chairs last well if not abused.

Ours were bought from a market stall in Bude over 20 years ago - two for £10 - and have covered many miles and been sat on in many countries.

True, they are now getting a bit tatty but they have never broken or collapsed and continue to function as comfortable folding chairs.

We have 2 Riviera chairs ...had em for about 10 years. Sitting on them now in Carcassone!

Perfectly good and comfortable ... lightweight well made. .. mid price then as I recall... about £25?

If they still make them a good option?

(Can't reduce photo enough on my android to post photo a photo of the whole chair, just the label?)

20220614_171356.jpg.fd6dcf9b42ea2965ca0149d04c3ff014.jpg

Thanks for the responses...

We never have, and never will "abuse" any of our kit..but unfortunately the quaility of "cheap" stuff from 20 odd years ago, would be(is) far superior to the "cheap" stuff that tends to be around "nowadays"...

I'll have a further "google" on those Rivera chairs, thanks.

(we had looked in our "local" Go-outdoors but even the chairs supposedly of a known "brand" , appeared no better/different than the "cheap ones", only with a label on! )

Never mind eh...'first world problem. ;-)

thanks again.

pepe63 - 2022-06-14 5:23 PM

We never have, and never will "abuse" any of our kit..but unfortunately the quaility of "cheap" stuff from 20 odd years ago, would be(is) far superior to the "cheap" stuff that tends to be around "nowadays"...

That's a very fair comment!!

I too have noticed the reduction in quality and durability, coupled with price rises, of most merchandise particularly of goods sourced from the far East.

We also need to be aware of the rise of 'badge marketing' where a defunct label known for it's quality has been purchased when a company goes bust so it can reappear on an inferior product.

Caveat emptor!

When in Spain earlier this month friends lent us a Sun Leisure folding directors chair. The borrowed chair was comfortable for sitting at a table to eat and for reading.

I have just ordered two via Amazon at £56.95 each with free delivery. These chairs are lightweight (3kg), sturdy, well made and very easy to fold. The only drawback is they are not suitable for lounging/sun bathing.

Cattwg :-D

Solwaybuggier - 2022-06-15 7:32 AM

OP may be misleading themselves about cost of Lafuma chairs - £65 each at https://www.garden4less.co.uk/product/lafuma-victoria-batyline-ocean. The £150 is more like for their recliners?

I’m not saying they’re better than any others, but they do fold very flat and are comfortable.

Thank you for that..

We' d just viewed the Lafuma site as a guide (where even some "basic, armless chairs were showing as £125! 8-) )

https://www.lafuma-furniture.co.uk/outdoor-furniture/garden-chairs.html

Thanks again

Good morning all...

Just to once again say thank you for the input (and those Decathlon chairs look good..).

I had tried to post a "thank you" some days ago but after two or three attempts,only to get the "banned" message and losing my post(s), I just gave up...

(This "glitch" is probably one of the main reasons that the forum is so quiet..?)

pepe63 - 2022-06-20 10:23 AM

I had tried to post a "thank you" some days ago but after two or three attempts,only to get the "banned" message and losing my post(s), I just gave up...

(This "glitch" is probably one of the main reasons that the forum is so quiet..?)

The demon banner has been less of a pain of late, although some days can be worse than others.

The continual cringeworthy crud on Crapperbox does not do the forum's credibility any favours.

Hi go onto the Go outdoors website they are selling Aluminium recliner chairs by Hi Gear they are excellent. I have two, light weight and padded. At the moment they are £45 each, with a free foot stool attachment ( usally £17)

Hurry they won't last long.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived