'van security

Guest kerry

I often see harrowing postings in MMM from unfortunate people who have had their 'van stolen. What do you think is the best way to try and prevent the theft of one's 'van? I have to keep mine parked on the public road. I have deadlocks on all doors and a decent alarm/immobilizer, but has anyone got any sensible suggestions about increasing security? Wheel Boot, removable steering wheel? What do you think?

Your Motorhome tea leaf knows the ins and outs of most motorhome security measures as he probably enquires at the dealers as a prospective buyer. The best alarms (without names) seem to be the sat/nav ones where the vehicle is tracked (did I say that)when stolen and is usually recovered. I myself would add a none standard immobilizer such as a switch hidden somewhere that breaks the power to say the engine run solenoid or the lights.Add a covering plate to this solenoid and for good measure add a plate to the engine starter motor supply cables. Hidden switches are not expected in motorhomes,does anyone out there have one. By the way tea leafs also make good tea. Good luck, Gordon..

Guest David Powell
Hi Kerry....How about a wheel clamp with the name of your local Council Painted on it????might put some "tealeafs" off. If professionals want it they will take it, no matter how secure you think it is. A sad fact of these modern times. Or get an oldy like me, the only reason anyone would want steal mine would be for obsolete spare parts or the new tyres. To be serious I believe the thing most favoured by the police is the steering wheel clamp that covers the steering wheel 100% it does not actually clamp the wheel, but turns without turning the wheel I forget the name of it but apparently if the wheel is on full lock & locked there is no way to get enough leverage to break the steering lock & straighten the front wheels. Some one on the forum will know the one for sure so watch this space.

Guest David Powell
Gordons idea is very sound advice, I have a secret switch on my 4X4 I also have a separate starter button well hidden. To the best of my knowledge it has fooled thieves twice. [I cheat a bit I also tow a caravan]as well as my M/H.

We moved house in order to buy the van of our dreams, unfortunate downside was that there is no space to park our Skylark. We approached Phantom and they have been absolutely brilliant, telling me in 3 minutes that my van is moving and should it be when I have forgotten to turn it off. The tracker still works when turned off, just does not alarm at their headquarters, am I allowed to say this on the forum? They are worth it for us as the van is about 10 miles away from home and gives us peace of mind Hope this is of help Regards Henry

Ive just purchased a"Wireless driveway alarm "Havent tried it yet cos I only arrived home this evening.I have to mount the motion sensor in the vehicle on the drive and the reciever indoors.It should give an audible warning of any intruders and an LED light. Not a 100% but at least a warning alls not well.£46 from SAS Product tel 08700 727234. They have a whole catalogue of security products which they will send.

Archived