You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
2010 Ducato headlight replacement/ levelling motors / buttons
AuthorMessage
usertonyishuk
Posted: 15 September 2020 2:52 PM
Subject: 2010 Ducato headlight replacement/ levelling motors / buttons

Forum master

Our 2010 Rapido has just failed it’s MOT on headlight alignment on drivers side.

It looks like a replacement job as there is also a problem with water and misting in the unit. Having taken a closer look at the unit , I can see where the water has infiltrated at the highest point of the unit just under the windscreen, AND I did keep the drain hole free !

The MoT failure is based on the headlight control not working.

I have searched the web and found some info but have a couple of questions.

I don’t quite understand the Fiat logic of the dashboard control. Is 3 is the lowest setting ( max dip) and 0 is highest setting (highest dip).. in my reasoning settings 1 or 2 , is mid point when the headlights are on.

Is there further adjustment of the headlight unit to allow for setting the unit ? Or is the unit just pushed home on the spring catch at the back and screwed down with the three fixing screws?

How do you get to the levelling motors inside the headlights?

Some web articles indicate that the motors can be replaced. New headlight units from suppliers say that their units have no levelling motors fitted, so I assume levelling motors have to be fitted or the headlight units are for basic Ducato models, if there are such models.

I have taken a look, and after some fiddling have got some motor noises, but in this bright sun it is difficult to see if the reflector is moving in the headlight casing. I am hoping that my attempts to coax the unit into life will work.

Testing in the darkness will reveal all !

Rgds
usermikefitz
Posted: 15 September 2020 3:37 PM
Subject: RE: 2010 Ducato headlight replacement/ levelling motors / buttons

Keeps coming back for more

Since water has entered the lamp its likely the reflector surface is damaged and perhaps motor electrics. The easiest solution is to replace the unit. All units I have fitted were supplied with motor and due to the construction it would be difficult to replace the motor alone. Around 2010 there was a change in wiring and the connection plug was altered. Note the colour of the existing connection and order a suitable lamp. For early model lamps there is a conversion adapter loom available if the early lamp cannot be obtained.
Coastal Motorhomes are a reliable supplier and details are on their website. Cost £ 85 or £115 depending on pre 2010 or after.
When replacing headlights I find it easier to fit all new bulbs at the same time. It's advisable to have the headlights adjusted after replacement for correct pattern.
Mike
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 16 September 2020 7:15 AM

tonyishuk - 2020-09-15 2:52 PM

... I don’t quite understand the Fiat logic of the dashboard control. Is 3 is the lowest setting ( max dip) and 0 is highest setting (highest dip).. in my reasoning settings 1 or 2 , is mid point when the headlights are on. ...

The “3” setting of the Headlamp Alignment Corrector (operated via your Ducato’s MODE system) produces the maximum downwards ‘dip angle’ and the “0” setting provides the minimum dip angle. Setting “1” and “2” produces intermediate downwards dip angles but (at least with my 2015 Ducato X290) the amount of extra ‘dip’ produced by each of those two settings may not be the same.

The headlamps should initially be adjusted (using the adjustment ‘screws’ that are part of the headlamp) so that the beam pattern conforms to UK standards, and this task would normally be carried out with the Headlamp Alignment Corrector set to its “0” value. So - as Mikefitz has advised - when a headlamp unit is replaced, the replacement unit will need to be adjusted to obtain the correct UK pattern.

Inspection of headlamps as part of the MOT test is described in detail here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-5

Paragraph 4.1.2 (Headlamp alignment) includes the following guidance

If driver’s beam aim controls are fitted, you should test the beam aim without altering the control setting. If this would result in failure for beam aim being too low, you should re-check the beam aim with the control set at its ‘highest’ position.

Paragraph 4.1.5Levelling devices) says

Make sure any manual headlamp levelling devices (driver controls) work by:

- switching on the dipped beam headlamps
- operating the manual levelling device
- checking that the headlamp beams move up and down
- returning the levelling device control to its original position

As far as I am aware it is not practicable to replace the ‘levelling motor’ of a Ducato X250 or X290 headlamp unit, and even the cheapest replacement units advertised on-line include the electric levelling capability.
usertonyishuk
Posted: 16 September 2020 2:37 PM

Forum master

Many thanks for the replies, they both answer my questions fully.

I have managed to coax the non working levelling motor into life, so have some movement. Hopefully this will enable the failure to be passed as repaired and working. That is assuming the level had stuck on the lowest level and beam can now be lifted, ready for its return to the MOT station on Friday for a headlight setup and retest.

I will be purchasing a new headlight unit, but it would be useful if the current unit can work, or be seen to be working, on a little bit longer. Then I can fully check the other side, rather than waiting for it to fail independently.

Just to confirm my investigations ?
Looking at the headlights from the front of the vehicle;
The inner white hex screws adjust up / down setting
The outer white hex screws adjust the left / right settings

Fiddling around on a bright lit day, can be fraught with problems !

Rgds
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator