A sign of the times?

spospe

Maybe this is proper to Chatterbox, but I felt it might get a more mature response here.

We have just returned from a tour of Cornwall, Devon and Somerset and whilst walking through Marazion (near to Lands End) we saw a Swedish registered Tesla parked outside the Post Office. The driver was nowhere to be seen and so I was unable to ask how difficult, or easy the journey had been from a recharging point of view.

The shortest distance from Sweden to Marazion must be circa 1000 miles and could be considerably more depending on how far north they came from.

The Tesla is a car, not a Motorhome, but ...............

Tesla's have their own charging network, as well as being able to use other chargers, driving them long distances isn't an issue, atm only other manufacture who comes close for ease of charging is VW who have done a deal with multiple charge networks so you only have to use one app.

As if on cue, an interesting perspective in US

https://philip.greenspun.com/blog/2022/06/04/kia-ev6-is-great-for-everything-except-transportation-wsj/

"The biggest benefit of tesla isn’t even how it’s made, the price etc. It’s the supercharger network. Without anything resembling it (and there’s nothing else really) other manufacturers don’t make cars, they make toys."

I've read/watched quite a few EV roadtripping stories over the past few years and the main takeaway/hurdle for me is that you need countless apps/accounts to keep your EV charged. Finding a charging point isn't too big of a problem. Figuring out how to pay for it is. And until they are forced to make it as simple as paying for fuel, EVs will be nothing but run around toys you charge at home

Archived