ACSI Camping Card - Is it useful?

Shewolf55

Generally, yes. The sites in the scheme are of a reasonable standard (few poor, some very good) and, at the off season prices, good value. There is also an ACSI app that provides useful information on the sites and their locations, through which you can download the ACSI sites directories country by country. This includes info on the "Inspected" sites as well as the sites that take the discount card. The card is valid from January to December, so for this year I wonder if it might be worth delaying buying until you can be more certain that travel will be feasible. The whole of Italy is now stated to be in "lockdown" so I would imagine wandering motorhomers may not be that widely welcomed (except by the campsite owners :-D).

For me it depends which countries your going to. If your going to hot spots on the edge of the high season then I think its useful or if your going to places like Switzerland where there are not so many Aires and wilding is not as easy but if your just trundling around rural France or Germany unless you really want proper campsites then I wouldnt bother. Aires or Stellplatz are free or cheap and there are plenty of basic campsites in both countries often a fair bit cheaper than ACSI. That said for a long trip and for what they costs its worth having in the van. Useless in high season though. IMO France is the best place to be high season. Spoilt for choice and always somewhere to escape to.

It depends on how many sites you will use and whether the country you are visiting has enough ACSI sites to make it worthwhile. Portugal for example has relatively few ACSI sites and if you rely on sites you would need to take another guide (such as the CAMC book) to find them.

We toured Portugal and Spain twice for several weeks last year and probably only got an ACI discount two or three times (and otherwise we used Aires and non ACSI sites) so ACSI Membership wasn't worth having for us last year. I've now bought the relevant CAMC sites book to compliment All the Aires and we'll make do with those.

It depends. Off season it may be.

In any case, ACSI lists something less than 10,000 campsites when there are more than 30,000 in Europe.

It could serve in Denmark and especially in Sweden as a substitute for Camping Key Europe, for insurance reasons often required to access campisites.

Max

Wouldn't be without it, use it all the time in France, Spain, Portugal, depending on which site, it can be used up to around the 10th July and then from the last week in August. Some great sites for 18€ that would normally cost you 30€ per night without the card.

mtravel - 2020-03-11 11:18 AM

It depends. Off season it may be.

In any case, ACSI lists something less than 10,000 campsites when there are more than 30,000 in Europe.

It could serve in Denmark and especially in Sweden as a substitute for Camping Key Europe, for insurance reasons often required to access campisites.

Max

Are you sure you’re not confusing the CampingCard ACSI discount card with the ACSI Club ID?

From ACSI website:

“What are the most important differences between the ACSI Club ID and CampingCard ACSI?

ACSI Club ID is a Camping Carnet. It is an alternative identity document, accepted at almost 8,800 campsites. Members are automatically insured for liability. ACSI Club ID is not a discount card.

CampingCard ACSI is a discount card with which you can camp at more than 3600 campsites at advantageous rates in the low season. CampingCard ACSI is not an alternative identity document and you will not be automatically insured for liability.”

Our ACSI card more than pays for itself with our annual month in Spain each Jan/Feb. The site is reduced to 16€ with the card and more discounts for longer stays. This year's 30 night stay reduced the 16€ nightly rate to 11.73€.

We then save again with our autumn touring month away (mixture of ACSI sites/aires/stellplatz etc.).

Shewolf55 - 2020-03-10 3:40 PM

Hi all

Is the ACSI camping card any good? is it worth it?

Thanks xxx

Short answer for us is YES......though may be restricted on use in France this year, its interesting to see that more UK sites are linking up to it...though the price in the guide book is still quoted in Euros for UK sites...I wonder what currency they would charge me if I used my Euro account card in their sites!! Or what rate they would use for conversion to £sterling!!

Keith T - 2020-03-15 4:04 PM

Shewolf55 - 2020-03-10 3:40 PM

Hi all

Is the ACSI camping card any good? is it worth it?

Thanks xxx

Short answer for us is YES......though may be restricted on use in France this year, its interesting to see that more UK sites are linking up to it...though the price in the guide book is still quoted in Euros for UK sites...I wonder what currency they would charge me if I used my Euro account card in their sites!! Or what rate they would use for conversion to £sterling!!

I've read a few reviews on the app of the UK sites in the south. Lots of dissatisfaction with bad pitches given to ACSI cardholders and charging etc.

Rarely had problems on the Continent.

Archived