AGM battery charger

Deffheads

I have a previous post that asked the best way to ensure longevity of my Odessy PC2250 AGM battery, having read replies I am now favouring a NOCO Genius G7200 as an external charger. Do I need to isolate the EBL 99 charging system when the Noco is connected? If so can I just remove the charging fuse on the EBL to do this, or will that effect the charge when driving?

If anything I'd go for the 15A or 26A model. Since I can't find any specific info on different charge profiles it's hard to say yes or no. Could well be just another poorly designed charger that claims to do it all, but doesn't deliver.

However, charging a typically depleted battery after two days or more off EHU at 7A will take a long time and could easily overheat the charger. Alternatively, use the existing EBL to do the bulk of the job and bring it up to its absorption voltage (likely 14 4V), then continue with one of these at appropriate settings. Whether they stay connected at the same time doesn't matter. Consider that it is the same situation as having a solar regulator as a secondary charging device

Deffheads

Perhaps worth looking at the Amazon reviews for the NOCO charger

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00E907QPE/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

Have you followed up Robinhood’s suggestion in his posting of 17 December 2019 7:16 AM in the earlier thread that discussed your AGM battery?

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Confusion-over-AGM-battery-charging/54014/

If your present EBL unit can be upgraded (at a reasonable cost) so that it can provide a ‘proper' AGM charging regimen, that would seem to make much better sense than using a secondary charger, particularly as you seem to be relying on guesswork as to what secondary charger would be suitable/best to employ.

I have no experience of Apuljack, but they are reasonably reviewed in various places.

Check the price for the upgrade, and be aware that Apuljack will sell you a new EBL119 for £360, which should put the quote for an upgrade in context. (The EBL119 is essentially an EBL99 but with gel/agm charging regimes as standard, rather than gel/lead acid, and should be a straight replacement for an EBL99).

http://shop.apuljackengineering.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=221

Patently, an EBL99 upgrade by Apuljack means you will end up with a non-standard box, but at very worst you could overcome any issues in the future by purchase of an EBL119.

(It occurs to me that, as they do exchanges for other units, and will consider £50 credit for even a broken EBL99 against such other boxes, you might be cheeky when talking to them about upgrade price, and check how much they would charge instead to exchange your fully working EBL99 for a new EBL119!)

Archived