ALKO axle tube - how thick?

kevina

Although my van is only 11 years old it is suffering from many years of two month long Alpine snowboarding trips and is getting a bit rusty underneath. The mechanics at Chelston were pretty horrified when they saw it recently! It's not really that bad but having been warned I'm chiselling off the flaky stuff before attacking it with a heavy duty wire cup brush on the angle grinder and then rustproofing

I was just wondering how thick the tube actuallty is. I guess it's about the same as the chassis brackets which are about 4mm. I thought the steel might be more heavily pitted underneath but it is coming up pretty smooth.

A lot of work to do and then on to the box chassis at the front where the welds and edges are starting to go.

Rest of the van in great shape and look as we might we can't find anything that'll justify the huge expenditure of replacing it. So back under the van it is!

You might try contacting Fraser Brown Engineering who refurbish AL-KO axles

http://www.fraserbrowneng.co.uk/store/index.php?route=information/contact

Their video should give some idea of the thickness of the axle tube

http://www.fraserbrowneng.co.uk/index.php?c=al-ko-axle-repair

but if you really want an exact dimension, FB could probably tell you.

I had a prompt reply from Fraser Brown; for reference I've copied it below:

Kevin

Wall thickness is 6.3 mm.

Rub it down. Do not make it shiny, Just take off the flaky rust and apply an iron phosphate rust converter. Kurust is one make.

It really works. Apply a good quality paint. Job done.

Regards, Fraser Brown.

Yes when new it is around 7 mm wall thicness of the tube. They are honed out a bit at the out boards where the split bearings sits. Two of them who guide the stub axles. You can take a ultra sonic thickness measurement. But have to ask AL-Ko what the max corrosion rate will be. Excellent comment from fraser brown.

Archived