AS Amethyst- dimensions plese

Guest Gary

Have seen this 5 birth van on a site- wondered what the dimensions were- and when they were produced i.e what years are available to buy?

Guest Derek Uzzell
Auto-Sleepers is one of the many motorhome converters who re-use model names, and Amethyst has been used (at least) twice, both times on Ford Transit-based designs. "Which Motorcaravan" (March 2005 issue) recently tested the present version, but I expect you are referring to its predecessor. My records don't go far enough back to say when that Amethyst began to be produced, but it was probably around 1995 and production may have continued until 2000 when the current new-shape Transit was introduced. Certainly Amethyst was available in early-1996 when "Which Motorcaravan" gave dimension figures of 20' 2" (length), 9' 1" (height) and 7' 2" (width). The vehicle was actually called "Amethyst GX" then and would have been built on a 3300kg lwb chassis. Primarily because of its heavy monocoque GRP body, payload was a mere 349kg (that's excluding the extra weight of passengers, water, gas, luggage, accessories, etc.) Not too sure where you get the 5 berths from - as far as I'm aware all Amethysts (latest or older versions) have seating layouts that convert to 2 lengthways single beds or a large crossways double, plus a 2-kids-size overcab bed. (Admittedly the double bed is a wide one and you could probably get 3 consenting adults into it if you so chose: anyway, that's none of my business...)

Archived