AWAY IN EUROPE FOR OVER A YEAR - what about ,,,,,

dmcvit

dmcvit - 2018-10-20 6:00 PM

If you go way for more than a year what happens about the MOT?

We are planning to got for a minimum of twelve months, probably 18 months and maybe 2 years around europe.

You will have to return to UK to get the vehicle re-tested within that timescale, or obtain a van that will not require an MoT until after your eventual return. To comply with the Vienna Convention on International Traffic, you must also maintain the vehicle taxed (VED) throughout your time away.

Depending on whether you intend leaving before, or after, Brexit (assuming you can find out when that may be! :-)) you may experience difficulties over the validity of your EU/UK passport, EU/UK driving licence, and vehicle insurance (the conditions for EU validity of which are presently subject to EU regulation, and seem likely to require at least a Green Card post Brexit). It also seems possible that if your vehicle carries "Euro" number plates, these may have to be replaced with non-Euro plates post Brexit.

If you don’t want to nip back for a short time to take care of the UK formalities, you could:

1) drive on UK VED and MOT for 11 months

2) permanently export it to an EU country (but you’d need a resident address in that country)

3) tax and MOT in that country

4) import back to UK on return

We are planning to got for a minimum of twelve months, probably 18 months and maybe 2 years around europe.

That's least of your problems. Be sure to contact your GP and tell him/her of your intentions. You may find yourself removed from their list though much depends on your GP as some do 'bend' the 'rule book''.

Bulletguy - 2018-10-20 8:02 PM

That's least of your problems. Be sure to contact your GP and tell him/her of your intentions. You may find yourself removed from their list though much depends on your GP as some do 'bend' the 'rule book''.

As stated Your Doctor can and technically should take you of his list. What about your home? Insurance etc. You could be making yourself "Stateless" What about Income tax, etc? You need to keep an UK address, and some-one to forward your post.

It is not really possible in this day and age , to just up sticks and wander about Insurance for both van and health would not be covered. Very few ins companies will cover for unlimited cover, as you would be needing., Have you REALLY thought this venture through? Would you really be happy moving around all the time. What about money, banking etc. So even if you bought a new van , that did not need an MOT, there is still the insurance and if new The warranty on van

Most of us get by with weeks at a time , and welcome getting back home. Also as stated you could have a problem after Brexit , and maybe no-one will accept you back into there country, especially on a UK plated van.

A dream , but not practical

PJay

We are planning to got for a minimum of twelve months, probably 18 months and maybe 2 years around Europe.

Depends on you really the mot an tax expire after 12 mths whether your insurance covers you with out tax or mot is a ?.

But there's a lot of British registered cars in Europe that have been there for longer than 12 mths being driven daily

Also when tax runs out you need to SORN it or you'll be fined for untaxed use and I think it needs to be in UK to SORN

PAJay - 2018-10-20 9:57 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-20 8:02 PM

As stated Your Doctor can and technically should take you of his list. What about your home? Insurance etc. You could be making yourself "Stateless" What about Income tax, etc? You need to keep an UK address, and some-one to forward your post.

It is not really possible in this day and age , to just up sticks and wander about Insurance for both van and health would not be covered. Very few ins companies will cover for unlimited cover, as you would be needing., Have you REALLY thought this venture through? Would you really be happy moving around all the time. What about money, banking etc. So even if you bought a new van , that did not need an MOT, there is still the insurance and if new The warranty on van

Most of us get by with weeks at a time , and welcome getting back home. Also as stated you could have a problem after Brexit , and maybe no-one will accept you back into there country, especially on a UK plated van.

A dream , but not practical

PJay

You're right about home insurance. Most will accept 2 or 3 weeks away but once you start talking in terms of months, not many will insure 'unoccupancy' and those that will, load heavily and make strict stipulations.

I'm with Saga and they will do three months.....at a price in addition to your premium. BUT you have to guarantee your house will be entered by key and inspected regularly (friend, relative or neighbour is accepted). Some companies will even want it occupied for X number of hours each week. Some folk might think, "oh thats easy to get round....i'll just tell 'em i'll leave a key with the neighbour who will pop over each day" when in reality you lie to them. Then you return home three months later to find you've been burgled. Suddenly you've got one hell of a lot of explaining to do and insurance companies aren't daft....they've wised up and if you're not careful you could end up having your premium voided and if that happens you are seriously stuffed as that gets logged and you will struggle to find a company to take you on.

Talking to a full timer recently in Portugal, they’d SORNed their RV, I think while abroad. (And reckoned they’d heard a lot of other full timers do the same.) Okay, they’re unlikely to get picked up on Portuguese ANPR, unless for offending. But it must have invalidated their insurance.

I only asked about the vehicle, its MOT and tax status. All this Brexit stuff and doctor stuff was not required. Thank you. Talk about people going OFF THREAD!

Anyway thanks for all the replies and yes it is worth it to set up for a week or two somewhere and then move on. That is what motorhomes are about isnt it? Also we will not be "stateless" our house will be let out, thus providing an income and there are insurers out there who will insure you for long term travel, you just have to do some research. And my doctor will not delist me as I will still have an address on his patch.

Why are people so negative when someone wants to go and do something a little out of the ordinary?

We will probably now only go for twelve months to avoid having to export and re-import the vehicle (which is the most difficult problem to overcome).

We have already done six months in France and Spain so we have some idea of what we are doing.

Thanks again for all the replies (even if they were very off thread).

;-)

dmcvit - 2018-10-21 11:18 AM

I only asked about the vehicle, its MOT and tax status. All this Brexit stuff and doctor stuff was not required. Thank you. Talk about people going OFF THREAD!

Anyway thanks for all the replies and yes it is worth it to set up for a week or two somewhere and then move on. That is what motorhomes are about isnt it? Also we will not be "stateless" our house will be let out, thus providing an income and there are insurers out there who will insure you for long term travel, you just have to do some research. And my doctor will not delist me as I will still have an address on his patch.

Why are people so negative when someone wants to go and do something a little out of the ordinary?

We will probably now only go for twelve months to avoid having to export and re-import the vehicle (which is the most difficult problem to overcome).

We have already done six months in France and Spain so we have some idea of what we are doing.

Thanks again for all the replies (even if they were very off thread).

;-)

Like you Ive done some long term travelling. I always wanted to go full timing or maybe do two or three years. If I was planning something like that I think I would be grateful if someone pointed out that my plans may well be in tatters as you wont be allowed to travel in Schengen for more than three months post Brexit in any 180 day period. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail and all that. Anyway good luck.

Solwaybuggier - 2018-10-21 7:50 AM

Talking to a full timer recently in Portugal, they’d SORNed their RV, I think while abroad. (And reckoned they’d heard a lot of other full timers do the same.) Okay, they’re unlikely to get picked up on Portuguese ANPR, unless for offending. But it must have invalidated their insurance.

People do what people do, some are wise, some foolish. As I understand it, their actions forfeit their rights under EU or any other legislation do drive their (presumably) UK registered vehicle outside the UK, as well as rendering the vehicle illegal within the UK. To be legal on UK roads the vehicle must be continuously taxed, MoT'd and insured.

Their right to drive their vehicle abroad is granted under the Vienna Convention on International Traffic, which (paraphrasing) says that any vehicle or combination of vehicles that is/are legal in its country of registration, is entitled to use roads in other signatory countries. The EU has adopted the Convention, so all EU states (and a long list of others) are de facto signatories.

So, by driving a vehicle that would be illegal if on UK roads, it automatically becomes illegal elsewhere.

It is possible that the third party aspects of their insurance may cover the consequences of any accident, but if the insurer became aware that the vehicle was untaxed while abroad, he may claim that the insured was in breach of his insurance contract, and take legal action against him to recover the cost (plus, no doubt, their admin and legal costs) of any resulting payout.

I leave others to judge whether this full timer was in the wise or foolish category - but I know where I place him!

Well said Brian

With all the computerised documentation, tax ins etc MOT, It can't be that easy to avoid being found out these days

Of course you could always join "the travelling community" Not sure hw legal there vehicles are!

PJay

globebuster - 2018-10-21 11:53 AM

Given your apparent diligence regarding all the other aspects raised, it's a pity you didn't do some further research of your own on the MOT/ Tax status implications - might have saved a lot of 'off thread' replies.

Well said.

PAJay - 2018-10-21 1:09 PM

Well said Brian

With all the computerised documentation, tax ins etc MOT, It can't be that easy to avoid being found out these days

I agree, and you're right about computerised documentation etc. What i will add is this year i noticed a significant increase in police spot checks at the roadside, specifically Germany, Romania and Bulgaria. German police were concentrating mainly on German registered vehicles but the other two were targeting foreign plated.

Of course you could always join "the travelling community" Not sure how legal there vehicles are!

PJay

It's a good idea as long as it's UK specific because most Europeans have far less restrictive rules 'n regs regards insurance, particularly with Dutch hence the reason you see so many NL plates in virtually any country. Also, unlike UK, people don't need a passport to drive in other European countries, just an ID card.

Bulletguy - 2018-10-21 2:20 PM

Given your apparent diligence regarding all the other aspects raised, it's a pity you didn't do some further research of your own on the MOT/ Tax status implications - might have saved a lot of 'off thread' replies.

Well said.

Well said Brian

I agree, and you're right about computerised documentation etc. What i will add is this year i noticed a significant increase in police spot checks at the roadside, specifically Germany, Romania and Bulgaria. German police were concentrating mainly on German registered vehicles but the other two were targeting foreign plated.

Of course you could always join "the travelling community" Not sure how legal there vehicles are!

PJay

It's a good idea as long as it's UK specific because most Europeans have far less restrictive rules 'n regs regards insurance, particularly with Dutch hence the reason you see so many NL plates in virtually any country. Also, unlike UK, people don't need a passport to drive in other European countries, just an ID card.

Paul (Bullet)

ID card? Do you have to get one then? Not that we will be going anywhere that is, as no longer have a van sadly

Pauline

PAJay - 2018-10-21 2:47 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-21 2:20 PM

Well said.

Well said Brian

PJay

Paul (Bullet)

ID card? Do you have to get one then? Not that we will be going anywhere that is, as no longer have a van sadly

Pauline

UK doesn't have personal ID cards Pauline. They were scrapped in 2011 and though our photo id driving licence looks similar, that won't be enough if stopped by police at a roadside check in Europe.

A German friend of mine showed me his and you can see from this how similar they are to our biometric passport detail. But this is all they need to tour anywhere in Europe and only need a passport for international overseas travel.

128814195_GermanIDcard.jpg.5b7b5db5a5414481c1948d8515c83438.jpg

I have a UK ID card.

I took part in the pilot programme around 10 years ago.

I thought the original idea was a good one .... until Polittticians started talking about adding other bits of personal information. 8-)

747 - 2018-10-21 9:13 PM

I have a UK ID card.

I took part in the pilot programme around 10 years ago.

I thought the original idea was a good one .... until Polittticians started talking about adding other bits of personal information. 8-)

You were conned. It was just you and a few others of the Gateshead Mafia that MI5 wanted to keep tabs on. 8-)

witzend - 2018-10-22 9:53 AM

goldi - 2018-10-22 9:29 AM

I was told in 1975 that I would not require any kind of passport in Europe . Another bunch of lies.

I can't recall having to use a passport in Europe until you get back to UK

Maybe not at "borders" BUt some campsites in Spain asked for it, and took copies!

Maybe something to do with Gibraltar? What I did find disturbing, was in Spain that they kept your details on the computer, We went back this year to a site we last visited nine years earlier, and they still had our details on file

SO Op for digressing !!

PJay

Archived