Aaaargh Chausson

mikejkay

My Flash S2 is supposed to be a "budget" MH and I am gradually discovering why! Today I replaced the gas cylinder. The handbook states that the vehicle can take a 13kg cylinder so I took out the 6kg one and put in a 13kg. Having connected up the hose with the cylinder outside I tried to put the cylinder in the locker. No can do, the cylinder has to be put in base first and the hose was too short. Not just a little too short but way too short. After undoing the hose and with much heaving I got the cylinder into the locker. With much cursing and scraping of knuckles I got the hose back on and tightened up. A 13kg cylinder does go in but as tight fits go it must be a record. Anyway, I shut the locker door, locked it and pulled out the key only to find that the entire lock barrel came away with the key !!!!!!!!!! The lock barrel is just a push fit with two flimsy plastic tongues which engage in slots in the lock housing.

We had a Pilote R580 which had a gas locker big enough for two 13kg bottles. The hose was long enough to reach a bottle when it was standing on the ground outside the locker. It was much easier to attach the hose when the bottle was outside. I suppose that I just expected the Chausson to be the same. Instead the hose is only about 300mm long. Never had any trouble with the locker door locks either!

Your Flash 02 will have been designed to accept a French 13kg gas canister that has a diameter a critical few millimetres less than that of a 13kg UK "Calor" propane bottle. That's almost certainly why the fit is so tight.

To minimise the chances of regulator 'gumming up', it's now advised that the length of gas pigtails be kept to a minimum, with 450mm being the recommended norm. But longer hoses are available, as are shorter. Looking at a French accessories catalogue shows pigtails being offered with lengths ranging from 350mm to 750mm, so yours seems to be the minimum length marketed.

As colin suggests, I don't think a motorhome manufacturer (at least nowadays) would anticipate an owner seeking to connect up a gas-bottle before installing the bottle in the gas-locker. It is possible to obtain UK-standard pigtails 1500mm in length (which might allow you to connect up your bottle with it standing on the ground), but I would have thought that getting the connected bottle plus the long pigtail back into your Flash 02's tight-fitting locker would be much more challenging than putting the bottle in the locker and then connecting it up with a shorter pigtail.

As crinklystarfish says, 'Poundland' locker-door locks are not confined to budget motorhomes, let alone budget French motorhomes. I remember a lock-barrel removing itself from my UK-built Herald's gas-locker door and I've had to re-engineer the lock on my Germany-built Hobby's water-filler.

It is the case, nevertheless, that "Flash" models represent Chausson's entry-level range of coachbuilt motorhomes. The current ranges are shown here:

http://www.chausson-motorhomes.com/ranges/

I doubt if the locker-door locks on other Chausson ranges are any better than those fitted to "Flash", and it may well be that the ultra-short pigtail on Mike's vehicle was fitted in the UK rather than in the Chausson factory.

RogerC These problems are just two that confirm my overall impression that the Flash is built down to a spec. Looks good, but ............ Locker doors not fitted properly - one is so bad that you can see inside when the door is closed. Drawer latches that don't engage. Securing latch for the outside locker door does not line up with the "prong". Cab seal coming adrift.

I was spoilt having a Pilote for so long. When we sold it the interior was spotless ( due to SWMBO) but the Talbot Express front end was a wreck. Still, the Chausson does have poer steering :->

The budget aspect of the Flash range is more to do, IMV, with not having the fripperies that the others do, ie cupboard doors etc are not as fancy, the furnishings plainer and less 'bells and whistles' installed as standard. The catches etc would more than likely be exactly the same throughout all of the ranges, possibly with different handles/finishes. Equipment too is more likely to be enhanced the further up the range you go, so instead of manual control fridges for example, you'd likely get AES ones plus extra equipment too, however, the basic build of the furniture is likely to be the same.

Guest pelmetman
crinklystarfish - 2013-04-24 8:27 PM

Lock mechanism failures are not restricted to budget 'vans so don't feel too bad. Far more exclusive marques fall to bits too.

Different length hoses are easily come by.

My 23 year old gas locker lock works fine..............my cassette locker lock seized years ago ;-) ..............but if anyone feels the need to nick my poo 8-)....................then their need is greater then mine :D

I can get 1 X 13 kg and 1 X 6 kg bottles in the locker on my Chausson Allegro 67 , I have just replaced these with 2 X 11 kgs refillables from GASIT, total kit cost me £360 great company to deal with.Kit came with  three  adaptors for  filling in Europe , I had four fills in Portugal , all very easy, I have just changed to the Chausson from a tag axle Hymer and think it a great van.
  I today removed the rear steadies from the van, on a four month trip to Portugal, { shake down cruise } I never used them once and the van  is very steady when parked , so I now have more payload as they weigh about 20 lbs each.

mikejkay - 2013-04-25 5:02 PM

Derek, Thats a pity . I've been looking at Hobby vans as a possible replacement for my Chausson...

If you think my Hobby's build-quality faults were confined to a wonky water-filler lock, think again.

I had to re-engineer the vehicle's air-trunking layout completely to circumvent a problem that resulted in no hot air being delivered to the front part of the motorhome's living area. Although the end result was much superior to Hobby's original trunking layout, the need for the task didn't best please me. But such things happen and buying long-distance (from Germany in my case) and choosing a non-UK manufacturer will inevitably add to the risk if a one-off serious fault occurs.

And there was Hobby's half-hearted attempt at overcab insulation that resulted in condensation dripping into the storage lockers (a design fault that's likely to afflict all Hobby Transit-based low-profile models with this type of locker arrangement and will require major surgery to address successfully).

And there was the unsealed WC cassette-locker that polluted the air in the washroom.

Having said all this, other than the water-filler lock, the problems with my Hobby have been primarily down to Hobby's design philosophy rather than the quality of the build itself.

Chausson - at least for the lower-price models - seems to opt for sensible design simplicity rather than 'glamour'. However, I've never rated Chausson's build quality greatly and, when we looked at brand-new Flash models at a dealership in France a while back, the condition of all the vehicles was pretty bad, with bits missing and broken. On one - a Flash 10 - the exterior locker doors were appallingly badly fitting and it was difficult to see how this could be rectified.

But I've never rated Pilote motorhomes highly either...

Maybe some of you have experienced Friday afternoon vans as my one is perfectly screwed together lockers doors drawers trim etc are all spot on. I cant think of anything it hasnt got that we need otherwise i would have fitted it by now.

Vive la France

Pretty much the same experience here ips... ;-)

We've had our '08 Allegro(possibly '07 model?) for well over three years and everything still works as it should and nothing has worked loose/fallen off.(..well!..not off the van,anyway (lol) )

Some friends of ours bought a brand new Burstner(Nexxo?)around the same time and the fit and finish of our Chausson was easily on a par with that. In fact, compared to our Chausson, the cabinet work in the Burstner just resembled square-edged contiboard.... :-S

Not sure if our findings are down to where the Allegro sits(or sat) in the range...

Honest and useful insight from Derek, more of this kind of stuff would certainly empower customers.

Poor build quality / design flaws are slippery beasts and can be less than obvious on casual acquaintance. I've looked at many marques / individual 'vans that have been reported (by press / dealers / owners) to be of a high build quality and been mildly horrified.

There is much hype, ignorance, wishful thinking, and economy with the truth in this area.

In fairness to the industry, I believe that they can't afford the time investment to build run-of-the-mill 'vans to a very high standard and hope to make a decent profit at the prices that the market will stand. That's not to say that some companies don't try; whilst others clearly aren't that bothered.

pepe63 - 2013-04-27 8:58 AM

...Not sure if our findings are down to where the Allegro sits(or sat) in the range...

Allegro was the pinnacle range for Chausson and the asking-prices and specification of Allegro models made this very evident. When Chausson were producing Allegros, the ranges (in descending order) were Allegro, Welcome and Flash.

A French motorhome-magazine article on the Chausson/Challenger factory at Tournon said that it took just two days for a chassis entering the initial construction phase to emerge from the factory as a fully-fledged motorcaravan. It's hardly surprising then if there are build-quality variations.

Although I've commented critically about my Hobby, it needs saying that I didn't pay a premium price for it originally. I had toyed with the idea of obtaining an equivalent-layout Transit-based Chausson Welcome 74 but, even if I had bought the Chausson abroad (as I did the Hobby) it would have been no cheaper. And, when it comes to interior quality and interior 'look', the Hobby trounces the Chausson in every way.

ips - 2013-04-28 7:06 AM

In your opinion !

Sat in my van as we speak looking around for faults or build quality issues or bits of styling i dont like.....none found.

One trait I don't have is 'pride of ownership'. For me a motorhome is just a tool - like a hammer, electric drill or concrete mixer. If it's well made and does what I want I'll be happy, and if it doesn't I'll be happy to say so.

A plus point with the Hobby Transit-based "T-series" range was that (although it was clearly Hobby's entry-level range) the interior furniture and fittings were as used in Hobby's much more expensive Fiat models.

When I said "...when it comes to interior quality and interior 'look', the Hobby trounces the Chausson in every way" this was obviously an opinion. But it was an opinion not biased by the fact that I own a Hobby. If I owned a Chausson not a Hobby and believed the Hobby had a 'superior' interior I would have said so.

Styling-wise my Hobby's interior beats the interior of the Welcome range hands-down and I believe that's true for Chausson's Flash and Allegro ranges too. I'm also going to suggest that, if anyone looks at a Hobby interior and compares it with a Chausson interior (whatever the Hobby or Chausson model) the Chausson will always be considered second-best.

Hobby interiors are 'haute couture' (it's always been a Hobby selling-point): Chausson interiors are M&S. Nothing wrong with M&S but, styling-wise, the difference should be apparent to everyone.

We're generally very pleased with our Chausson Flash S2, which we bought new in late 2010. Previously, we had a 6-year old small Rapido (709F), and it is fair to say that the build quality of the Rapido was slightly better in my opinion.

Having said that, almost no complaints with the Chausson. The layout is remarkably clever and I believe unique; so one concern we have is finding anything to match it when replacement time comes.

For a six-metre van, the feeling of spaciousness in the living/sleeping area is excellent. Likewise, the size of the bathroom/ dressing area. Also, the overall design and decor feels much more modern than the rather dated interior style of the Rapido. And the driving experience is much improved with the X250 Fiat base, six-speed gearbox, cab a/c and cruise control; not to mention car-like brakes and steering.

I guess if there are two little grumbles, it is the lack of a spare wheel and nowhere to fit one - underslung waste tanks (2) are in the way. And the second grumble is the fact that there's only room for one gas bottle in the locker. Neither has caused us a problem - up to now (fingers crossed). With the diesel space heating we tend not to use much gas in any case, especially if on electric hook-up.

Mike

mikejkay - 2013-04-25 5:13 PM

RogerC These problems are just two that confirm my overall impression that the Flash is built down to a spec. Looks good, but ............ Locker doors not fitted properly - one is so bad that you can see inside when the door is closed. Drawer latches that don't engage. Securing latch for the outside locker door does not line up with the "prong". Cab seal coming adrift.

I was spoilt having a Pilote for so long. When we sold it the interior was spotless ( due to SWMBO) but the Talbot Express front end was a wreck. Still, the Chausson does have poer steering :->

Reference the niggles you've experienced with your S2, and which shouldn't occur if the selling dealer has done a thorough PDI, they sound like things that can be fixed under warranty. Looking at the photo of your van, I suspect it might be a 2011 model, and perhaps still covered? I know it's not exactly on your doorstep, but we've found Highbridge Caravans very good for sorting out a couple of minor issues along the lines you've highlighted. We didn't purchase the van from them, but they are a big Chausson franchise and were more than happy to help.

Hope you get things sorted to your satisfaction.

Mike

Archived