Abroad when road tax due

Guest Norman D

Guest Norman D
I am new to motorhoming and wondering what happens/what to do if I am abroad when my tax and mot run out.With the strict regs DVLC use these days it seems you have to be home waiting for the tax renewal notice and you only have 2 weeks to conform or be fined!

You can renew on the internet before you go or go to one of the local issuing establishment. I am sure someone will come on with th relevant links before to long. Alternatively cash your disk in & retax before you go. Same with MOT you need to renew it before you go. Trixie

hi norman, i have been having similar thoughts as we intend having a grey gap year. there is no reason why you can't have another mot done just prior to leaving thus giving you 12 months away.it should give you peace of mind that the van is roadworthy. the new style mot is computerised and gives you the option to renew road tax on line(could be done anywhere in an internet cafe then get someone to post the disc to wherever you are) or put the van on a SORN for a month,credit your road fund & start again with fresh tax & mot before you go.

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
There is another post on this about a week back You can tax the vehicle 2 months early that should give you 14 months before you have to renew MOT can be done early but only counts from the date of issue unless it is within a month of the old one expiring Unless someone has further info on that

You surrender the current tax disk for a refund (Form vailable at any Post Office) then take out a new tax diak valid for 12 months. Mot is as described above. Even tho' the MoT only needs to be valid when you buy the new tax disk, it must be valid throughout your stay abroad or you will certainly invalidate your insurance.

Guest peter goddard
You are now able to tax a vehicle over the web. So as long as you make sure your MOT is valid for the date you need to tax your motorhome and a friend phones you with the reference number from the DoT renewal form you can do this on your lap-top, especially if you can use WiFi.

Archived