Accessing Rear No. Plate Light Bulb - Peugeot Boxer

_Chris

I've just been checking the MH over for its MOT tomorrow and noticed that one of the two number plate lights on the rear door of my Peugeot Boxer Auto-sleeper has a dodgy electrical connection. Sometimes it will light up OK and other times it needs a knock.

I just want to clean the bulb connectors but can't remove the clear plastic lens. There are 2 small holes either side of the lens, one slightly larger than the other but no screws.

Does anyone know the correct way to do this

Photo attached.

(?)

1791814564_Rearnoplatelight.jpg.820ace21631c54887af7cf02fe15091a.jpg

MOT tester told me only one number plate light has to work for it to pass

(Sometimes the wire that goes to the door gets trapped causing an intermittent connection - but that won't apply to you because one is working.)

On the standard van its easier to pull out the plastic nails and take off the rear door card and access the number plate lights from inside.

But I guess you will have upholstery over it on the motorhome version so you will probably have to do it the hard way - from the outside.

The MOT inspection manual for cars and passenger vehicles can be viewed here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles

Section 4.7 relates to rear registration plate lamps and sub-section 4.7.1 (Presence, condition and operation) includes the list of MOT-test ‘defects’ shown on the file attached below.

As the MOT tester confirmed to you, when a rear registration plate has two or more lamps, even if one of the lamps is missing or inoperative, this will only represent a ‘minor defect’ and (as is explained on this linlk)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-changes-from-may-2018-guidance-for-mot-testers/other-important-information-for-mot-testers

if a vehicle only has minor defects, it doesn’t fail the MOT test.

The diffference between 'minor defects and ‘advisories’ is explained as follows:

Minor defects are not the same as advisories

A minor defect means there is a defect which is not severe enough to fail the test, but should be repaired soon. Minor defects are in legislation, so you need to apply them when you identify them.

Advisories are not set in legislation. They show components that are not defective yet but have wear or similar to the component, which means it won’t be long until they become defective.

There are photos of the lamp on this advert

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-rear-number-license-plate-light-00-06.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyaf2h4rb7wIVyZTVCh372QqVEAQYBSABEgJVBfD_BwE

but it’s not obvious from these why - as the lamp on Chris’s motorhome will slide - it won’t detach from the door. (Perhaps it needs a firm tug outwards or a careful prising?)

953281559_MOTdefects.png.113bb9b2844d8e532030061da537a159.png

I removed the interior trim from the door in the end to access the bulbs and their holders & dismantled each of the lamp fittings and cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner. After I had re-assembled them neither would work! Then then both came on with a light tap.

I noticed a couple of earth wires terminating at an earthing post on the door nearby so I cleaned that up, even though it looked fine, and now all seems well.

However, I'll leave re-fitting the trim until after the MOT!

Thanks to you both :-)

_Chris - 2021-03-31 6:47 PM

I removed the interior trim from the door in the end to access the bulbs and their holders & dismantled each of the lamp fittings and cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner. After I had re-assembled them neither would work! Then then both came on with a light tap.

I noticed a couple of earth wires terminating at an earthing post on the door nearby so I cleaned that up, even though it looked fine, and now all seems well.

However, I'll leave re-fitting the trim until after the MOT!

Thanks to you both :-)

Thanks for coming back and letting us know :-)

Some people don't bother.

Archived