Adblue coming to Fiat Ducato

mgnbuk

During a conversation with a motorhome dealer while exploring various options yesterday, it was volunteered that I should be aware that changes are on the way for the 2020MY Ducato.

2020MY production of motorhomes beings in September this year & as part of the introduction of Adblue to meet emissions requirements, the 130 hp engines are being uprated to 140 hp & the 150s to 160 - the 180s remain 180. There will be a weight & cost implication to the changes, though he didn't know if the Adblue tank would be accomodated by reducing the fuel tank capacity - he did note that some Italian vans already come with 60 litre fuel tanks rather than the more usual 90 litre & he thought that 40 litres had been mentioned for the Adblue tank capacity. The actual weight penalty was not mentioned.

If you want a new Ducato without Adblue, now would appear to be the time to buy.

Nigel B

Doesn't the x290 come with an option of 120L tank as per the x250? If so the Adblue should fit in with a 90L tank. Also Pug/Citroen already use Adblue, so what ever tanks they use should fit.

I'm guessing the smaller tank is more to do with getting CO2 figures down for base model.

I have a copy of Fiat’s Euro 6 Ducato Owner Handbook with a publication date of July 2017. This document includes a “REFUELLING THE VEHICLE” section, three pages of which relate to Ducato models using AdBlue.

The handbook quotes the standard fuel-tank capacity for all diesel-fuelled Euro 6 Ducatos as 90 litres, with the footnote

A 120 litre tank is available on request for all versions (with reserve of 12 litres). With the "Tempo Libero" option a 60 litre tank is available on request (with reserve of 10 litres).

For the Ducato models that have powerplants that require AdBlue, the capacity of the AdBlue tank is quoted as 15 litres.

It has been said authoratively for several years that AdBlue would eventually be necessary for all diesel-fuelled Ducatos (rather than just those with a couple of specific motors) and, in fact, it was anticipated that this requirement would occur well before the 2020 model-year.

In the latest Trucking magazine, it mentions Euro 6 Step D takes effect from 1 September 2019. Fiat said some time ago that it would need to use AdBlue (or similar product) to continue to pass the increasingly demanding EU tests. AdBlue does go off and some vehicles are now being fitted with a quality sensor.

Perhaps Fiat will launch a completely new vehicle as the Ducato is looking dated.

Technically AdBlue has nothing to do with CO2 emissions but NOx.

When my father had a Citroen as company car he didn't know it had an AdBlue system until he happened to go over the service interval and it ran out triggering an alert. They always replaced it as part of service.

If having AdBlue means I can keep driving a decent diesel rather than downsized turbo petrol coffee grinders I'm all for it. Having recently tested a Toyota Auris in 1.2 and hybrid versions I realized we're being left with no real alternative. The 1.2 is seriously underpowered on the motorway and the hybrid is annoyingly loud under load. Neither of them replaces the previously available diesel options. The issue would be even worse in a van. Unless we get a 280 hp 3.6 liter V6 as is standard in the Ram Promaster (US version of x250). But I doubt that one comes anywhere close to a diesel in fuel efficiency. :-D

spirou - 2019-02-03 8:14 PM

When my father had a Citroen as company car he didn't know it had an AdBlue system until he happened to go over the service interval and it ran out triggering an alert. They always replaced it as part of service.

That sounds more like the EOLYS fluid running out. On PSA diesels this is in a hidden reservoir that the owner can be completely unaware of and is refilled as part of the vehicle's service schedule, but the vehicle will continue to run without it (until the DPF blocks). If he'd run out of AdBlue the ECU wouldn't have allowed the car to start or it would have stopped mid-journey.

pagey - 2019-02-04 10:07 AM

hi steve i have a 2017 euro6 do tell where this is as mine will never see a main agent

Yours'll be on a Fiat base though won't it?

Regarding the Ducato/Boxer, EOLYS fluid is only used on the Euro6 Peugeot/Citroen base vehicle.

hi steve i have a 2017 euro6 do tell where this is as mine will never see a main agent

If you refer to your Fiat Ducato Owner Handbook you should be able to see that, although Euro 6 Ducatos COULD have an AdBlue tank, only those with specific ‘eco’ motors would have that tank.

The chances are nil that your Sunlight motorhome needs AdBlue and has an AdBlue tank - but all you have to do to confirm this is to look at your motorhome’s diesel-fuel filling point. If it had an AdBlue tank, there would be a supplementary blue filler-cap below the diesel-fuel cap (as shown in the attached photo).

You may well find that the filling point has a ‘blank’ where the AdBlue filler would go - but no blue filler-cap means no AdBlue tank.

Adblue.jpg.a7987598bde2a05f51991257fc5f056f.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2019-02-04 11:55 AM

If you refer to your Fiat Ducato Owner Handbook you should be able to see that, although Euro 6 Ducatos COULD have an AdBlue tank, only those with specific ‘eco’ motors would have that tank.

The chances are nil that your Sunlight motorhome needs AdBlue and has an AdBlue tank - but all you have to do to confirm this is to look at your motorhome’s diesel-fuel filling point. If it had an AdBlue tank, there would be a supplementary blue filler-cap below the diesel-fuel cap (as shown in the attached non-Ducato photo) No blue filler-cap means no AdBlue tank.

as you say mine does not have an add blue filler it is blanked off next to the diesel filler

Archived