Adding extras to your morhome!

bigjohnthecat

Hi Just reading the latest version July of MMM and a reader there says he as installed an electric box to work in con junction with is on board Fiat fitted on board management system computer My Question is as he informed his insurance? As After having a motorhome for 1 Year now my renewal/ new insurance wanted to know the full monty about the MH!

So then am I been cynical but after investing a lot of hard earned cash to by our MH Molly I want to know that we are fully covered!!!

I know how ALL INSURANCES WORK and if they can find an excuse not to payout in the unforeseen event of having to make a claim they will do!

I had to inform them that we had a solar panel fitted!

bigjohnthecat - 2019-06-01 6:23 PM

I know how ALL INSURANCES WORK and if they can find an excuse not to payout in the unforeseen event of having to make a claim they will do! I had to inform them that we had a solar panel fitted!

Some can be extremely pernickety when it comes to paying out. A tyre fitter told me of a customer he had who'd had a squabble with his insurance after an accident and the tyres on his car were not compliant to the manufacturers rating. In fact they were high speed rated so it was a bit of a silly point to pick at by the insurance.

On the flip side albeit a few years ago, i had a pretty serious accident which even the bodyshop thought would be a write off. The car was undriveable and taken to the bodyshop on a flatbed truck. Due to the costs the insurance sent an assessor out but amazingly he gave the ok to go ahead with repair. I was staggered as the entire front end was badly damaged. The car came back looking like brand new!

Another car i had a slight prang with just dented the wing. I pulled it out by hand and drove the car to the bodyshop.....but that got written off purely because the inner wing was slightly dented and as with all modern day cars, manufacturers pile various bits and pieces on the inner wings making removal labour intensive, hence the reason so many decent cars get written off.

Regards your question, if making an non-standard modification it's always best to inform even if not asked.

ColinM50 - 2019-06-01 9:09 PM

It was like that when I bought it.

I wouldn't rely on that. Some years ago a friend bought a small Suzuki 4WD that had bull bars on the front, which both she and I thought were a standard fitment. She made a claim after it was hit while stationary, and the insurer (Admiral) refused to pay out because the bars were a modification of which they had not been notified. The fact that she had not known they were a modification was, in their eyes, irrelevant, as was the fact that they had no relevance whatsoever to the accident or the damage caused. They did eventually pay out, but only after a long fight. Even then, if I remember rightly, they said that they would not insure her in the future (not that they were ever going to get the chance).

Billggski - 2019-06-02 10:21 AM

So would a bike rack, towbar, or even satellite dish count as a modification?

In the old days it was said "go-faster" stripes were a notifiable mod as they made the car more sporty!

Where does it stop?

Some insurance companies have asked me if i have a tow bar and/or bike rack fitted (oddly they didn't seem concerned whether there was box on or not).

bigjohnthecat - 2019-06-01 6:23 PM

Hi Just reading the latest version July of MMM and a reader there says he as installed an electric box to work in con junction with is on board Fiat fitted on board management system computer. My Question is as he informed his insurance? ...!

The “electric box” referred to is a ‘tuning-box’ provided by a company called Bluespark Automotive

https://www.bluesparkautomotive.com/

A letter in the July 2019 issue of MMM (Page 10) extolls the benefits gained (more poower, improved fuel condumption) after the box had been fitted to an Auto-Trail Dakota (no age or powerplant details provided) that the owner used to always tow a car on an A-frame.

Tuning-boxes are often easily visible when fitted and MAY result in MOT test failure where

Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defective

is counted as a Major Defect.

(To side-step that possibility it’s sometimes recommended that tuning boxes be removed prior to an MOT test being carried out.)

As a tuning- box is designed to increase a vehicle’s performance (It’s purpose is in the name) the provider of the motor insurance policy covering the vehicle should be informed (preferably before the box is fitted!) Unlike ‘remapping’ (that is invisible) should a vehicle be involved in an accident and the presence of a tuning-box be detected, but the insurance provider had not been informed of this, the provider may challenge any claim. Fitting a tuning-box (or 3rd-party remapping) will potentially invalidate a vehicle’s warranty, just like retro-fitting a supercharger would. The following 2014 webpage refers

https://www.raccars.co.uk/news/modifications-that-could-get-you-into-trouble

Archived