Adjustable Solar Panels

crbtaylor

There’s also this combined sat-TV dish/solar-panel

http://www.vanbitz.com/product/samysolar/

Hinged frameworks are available for tilting roof-mounted solar-panels. These are manually adjusted and (apparently) popular with RVers. The brand-name most often quoted seems to be “ARM UNI”, but I’m not sure if they are marketed in the UK.

http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/ff009.html

I wonder if the OP has considered free standing suitcase type panels, not ideal perhaps, but would clambering up on the roof be much better. I've seen the odd French M/home with self seeking solar panels, but the sizes seemed considerably smaller than the average fixed panels, swings and roundabouts maybe ?

I believe you own a fairly recent Auto-Trail Frontier Delaware and that you full-time in it.

The reasoning behind ‘tracking’ or manually orientable solar-panels is that by aiming the panel at the sun there’s a significant efficiency gain and a relatively small area of panel can provide a comparatively high electrical input.

However, as your motorhome should have a good deal of spare roof space, you might be better to forget adjustable panels and just fit as many conventional flat panels on the roof as is practicable. This less sophisticated approach should be a good deal less expensive and, being simpler, might well offer greater long-term reliability.

The ‘hinging up’ panel idea should work OK on an RV (or boat) that is static for longish periods, but as you are wildcamping and may wish to move on a a moment’s notice, a set of fixed panels might be more suitable.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-12-30 7:07 AM

I believe you own a fairly recent Auto-Trail Frontier Delaware and that you full-time in it.

The reasoning behind ‘tracking’ or manually orientable solar-panels is that by aiming the pannel at the sun there’s a significant efficiency gain and a relatively small area of panel can provide a comparatively high electrical input.

However, as your motorhome should have a good deal of spare roof space, you might be better to forget adjustable panels and just fit as many conventional flat panels on the roof as is practicable. This less sophisticated approach should be a good deal less expensive and, being simpler, might well offer greater long-term reliability.

The ‘hinging up’ panel idea should work OK on an RV (or boat) that is static for longish periods, but as you are wildcamping and may wish to move on a a moment’s notice, a set of fixed panels might be more suitable.

You are quite right in your assumptions. However I wish to look at all options before making a decisions. There is also payload to consider. I have compared our fixed 90 w panel with guys that have had panels on the ground at an angle near their van. I was getting approx 1A, he was getting 10A out of a 140w panel. Another guy with 3 140w panels hinged on his roof was getting 11A. This sort of speaks for itself.

crbtaylor - 2014-12-29 6:23 PM

we mainly wild camp so freestanding panels are not really suitable, theft etc and police moving us on if you are seemed to be camping

Freestanding panels are suitable for wildcamping. I used one (sometimes 2) for almost 5 years until I changed vans. I now have a fixed 100 watt panel on the roof and I can plug in a 90 watt freestanding panel if I need a boost.

We normally use the van all year round and the only hookup it gets is on our driveway. My freestanding 100 watt panel gave me 6.5 amps, the 90 watt one gave 5.5 amps if the weather was good. In Winter, there is a tremendous difference between a fixed and a propped up panel.

If you are handy at DIY then you can utilise the system used on tilting double glazed domestic windows. Some people have done this and one or two have rigged up a 'Lazy Susan' (I think they are called), so they can rotate as well as tilt.

Anyway, if you are a wildcamper you should be staying no more than 2 nights in one spot. That way, your alternator is boosting your batteries. If you turn up somewhere for a fortnights holiday, that would be different.

mikejkay - 2014-12-30 11:56 AM

crbtaylor - 2014-12-30 9:12 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2014-12-30 7:07 AM

10A out of a 140w panel.

seems a bit unlikely. A maximum of 7 amps is more likely.

140w/20v = 7a

Nothing to do with me. Always wise to preview a posting before submitting it. ;-)

Well, I am certainly on a roll on OAL. ;-)

This is 4 on the trot for me now.

ie: This is the fourth thread I have contributed to that the OP has just walked away from and ignored. he must have just been bored and thought he would start a thread about something ..... anything. *-)

I will not be tempted to make any other contributions over here, you get a better class of motorhomer on other forums. :D

I have been off grid for a few days. , not absent or bored! Still looking into options at the moment but certainly don't want free standing panels for several reasons. So back to either mechanical tilt/rotate or electric. May wait for Düsseldorf show to see what's available but thanks for the input

crbtaylor - 2015-01-03 6:36 PM

I have been off grid for a few days. , not absent or bored! Still looking into options at the moment but certainly don't want free standing panels for several reasons. So back to either mechanical tilt/rotate or electric. May wait for Düsseldorf show to see what's available but thanks for the input

Several years ago I did a little cursory research after seeing an auto set up in action. At the time larger panels where quite expensive, but even then for us it made no sence and I concluded would only be of use for say a solar farm where max output all year round could be utilised, I now note that even they don't go for full tracking now.

Take our current set up, it's a 85w panel and has worked for us into early Dec and from march onwards, now with an auto set up it might be possible in direct sun to get away with a 20w panel in dec and march, but in overcast conditions it will not cope whereas our 85w panel does.

Flat mounted panels are now relatively cheap, and the whole installation is simple. Those panels that rotate and elevate are more complex installations, and consume some electricity while operating. They are likely to be smaller panels because of the mechanical demands of re-orienting them. Things mechanical can go wrong, so you add that somewhat unquantifiable risk to the added cost of complexity.

If you take a realistic view on the worst case output from flat mounted panels (which is when you will need them the most - probably overcast in January), and "size" the installation accordingly, and then compare that to the cost of an automated installation of reliably similar output under the same conditions - assuming a controller of equivalent cost/quality for both installations - would that not give the answer you need?

The figures I have previously quoted are what the owners have displayed on their regulars, midday here in the Algarve. I have questioned a third owner who has 2 85w panels mounted flat and he showed me his meter showing 14,2 amps!! My 85w ? manufacturers (Autotrail) is only showing 2.5 amps. I am parked directly behind him, both vans in full sun at mid day. So the figures leave me confused - have I got a poor panel, poor regulator or both?

No way would he be getting 14.2 amps out of two 85w panels at this time of year, or in fact any time of year, that is over a third up on the maximum output of the panels. Your output appears much more realistic in fact very good considering the max output of the panel is only about 4.5 amps under ideal conditions.

After a lot of searching I eventually found a chart showing % of max output per year at tilt angle, as you can see you it's difficult to justify a tilting system unless you are coming up short in winter.

As for 14.2amps from 170w panel, I doubt it.

789692250_Panelangle.JPG.1c1c1ac1d56193450402894d6334d85e.JPG

Archived