You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
Adria Twin DC-DC advice please
AuthorMessage
usermotorhomer14
Posted: 1 April 2021 9:35 AM
Subject: Adria Twin DC-DC advice please

Just joined

Hi all, first newbie to the forum so thanks for letting me join.

I have a new Adria Twin supreme SGX 140 BHP manual which I will be picking up in a few weeks.

I intend fitting Lithium batteries and so need to know if this model has a DC-DC converter already fitted.

Has anyone got his model or work on the Adria Twin models and can advice on what is fitted.

I know the AUTO model has it fitted but its not showing if the MANUAL one does. I have been trying to contact Adria but still waiting
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 1 April 2021 11:03 AM
Subject: RE: Adria Twin DC-DC advice please

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Stephen.

This recent Ducato ‘van’ review

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/fiat/ducato/2011-review/

included the following statement

An Eco Pack also will be fitted as standard from September 2019, which as well as adding stop-start technology to the 120hp and 140hp engines (the 160hp and 180hp models already feature this as standard) includes an intelligent alternator and electronically controlled fuel pump to reduce fuel consumption.

I’m assuming that you are aware that the implication of this technology is that, when the vehicle is a motorhome with a leisure-battery, the ‘intelligent alternator’ will fail to charge the leisure-battery adequately when the motorhome is being driven unless something is done to permit this to happen - and the technical approach normally chosen is to fit a battery-to-battery charger (B2B).

It seems probable that, as Adria were/are fitting a B2B to their motorhome models that have automatic transmission, Adria would be doing the same with manual transmission models that now have the Eco Pack as standard.

Have you asked the vendor about this? I notice that the price-list at the end of the 2020 Adria motorhome brochure mentioned the Eco Pack and a “DC converter” (ie. a B2B) in relation to the 160bhp amd 180bhp motors, so the 2021 price-list (which an Adria dealer should have access to) MIGHT provide similar information for the other powerplants.

There has been a good deal of discussion about lithium batteries on this and other motorhome forums.

Some light reading here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=lithium+batteries&author=&days=&Submit=Search

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/lithium-batteries.php
usermotorhomer14
Posted: 1 April 2021 12:15 PM

Just joined

Hi Derek, thank you for the links this will be great to read over.

I am aware of the smart alternators which is why I need to DC-DC converter (B2B) I did not know they had the stop/start fitted so this will be new.

The only spec i can find so far is that the MANUAL vehicle may not have the B2B fitted which as you say is strange.

I have attached a venders specifications sheet. Still waiting on my Vendor to get back to me on this

was unable to attached pic of the document, but it says the following

DC/DC converter MANDATORY for 140 BHP AUTO, 160 BHP & 180 BHP

Edited by motorhomer14 2021-04-01 12:18 PM
userpaul2
Posted: 1 April 2021 12:49 PM

Hi

My Sunliving (built by Adria) is 160 auto it has a Schaudt booster WA121525 fitted.
Adria may use this on all their twin where a B2B is required.

Paul
usermotorhomer14
Posted: 1 April 2021 12:57 PM

Just joined

Cheers Paul, I will have a look over the van when i get it to see if this is fitted.

userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 1 April 2021 2:01 PM

The Schaudt WA 121525 “Booster” seems to be a popular choice for motorhome manufacturers when the base-vehicle has a smart alternator (and for retro-fitting by DIYers). Elddis refer to the Booster in Section 8.2 of their 2021 Autoquest manual

https://elddis.co.uk/uploads/handbooks/2021/Autoquest%20MH%202021_APPROVED.pdf

It should be stating the obvious, but even if Adria are now fitting a B2B/booster (whatever!) to all their Fiat Ducato-based models irrespective of the model’s powerplant bhp and transmission type, it needs to be asked whether or not the specification of these motorhomes is ‘lithium ready’.

Since the 2019 model-year the standard specification of the more upmarket Rapido motorhomes has included pre-wiring for one or a pair of SUPER B lithium leisure-batteries, whereas the cheaper models’ standard specification included a single wet-acid deep-cycle leisure-battery with a 2nd battery of that type as an option. I don’t know what Rapido’s stance would be if a lithium leisure-battery were retro-fitted to one of the cheaper models and there were consequential problems within the Rapido’s warranty period, but it would be sensible to keep the potential ‘warranty effect’ in mind when making any sort of significant changes to the original specification of a brand-new motorhome.
usermotorhomer14
Posted: 1 April 2021 2:50 PM

Just joined

Agree with you about getting setting correct and warranty issues. If I know the exact setup then there maybe a setting to change to Lithium. All Victron controllers I have installed have been easy to change via Bluetooth.

To make things more confusing from what i have read so far the van maybe fitted with a Schaudt Electroblock EBL 211 which only has Lead-Gel or AGM settings, so this may also be an issue when charging on 240v

As soon as i get the van i will have a look and update this post
userspirou
Posted: 1 April 2021 6:05 PM

Pillar of the forums

I'm pretty sure they've been standard on all Adria MHs for a few years. I went digging through them at a show a few years back and a schaudt booster was universally installed.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 1 April 2021 6:38 PM

motorhomer14 - 2021-04-01 2:50 PM

...To make things more confusing from what i have read so far the van maybe fitted with a Schaudt Electroblock EBL 211 which only has Lead-Gel or AGM settings, so this may also be an issue when charging on 240v...

This February 2020 MHFun forum discussion may be of interest.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/lithium-battery-ebl-advice-please.212955/
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator