Adria Twin

Thai Bry

Potentially looking to downsize from our large Hymer 700 G on a Merc 416 chasis.

After our extended break in Germany - some 8 weeks - we saw a lot of PVC vans.We were struck by the variety and also the useful space inside for just 2 people.

2 questions really.

A] What do our forum members think to their PVC's.

B] More importantly, could we get a UK spec van , but as a left hand drive version, as we're spending more and more time abroad, and this would be more appropriate for our needs

No personal experience and I'm probably getting biased reports since it is a local company, but it is generally regarded as a high quality producer that's been around forever. A family friend has an x230 based Twin that still runs and looks relatively OK for it's age (15+). I see a lot of them around but again, might be a local thing. However, they are also popular in Scandinavia and I've seen quite a few up there as well.

Adria also has a budget line - Sun Living, I have no idea where and how they differ to save money.

As far as PVCs go, they all use the same base materials and hardware. If you ask me there can't be that much of a quality difference between them. The difference is in the details and layout solutions. Having said that, I have no idea what UK spec & left hand drive would include.

A second vote for Campscout, had ours since 2011 and very happy with it. As I've posted before gf suffers from claustrophobia in transverse beds which is why we haven't got a Twin.

As for UK spec, what's that? We did have the twin burner hob replaced with twin burner and grill.

obviously you can ask but I doubt Fiat/PSA have a left hand drive with MPH speedo available.

As far as fridge... I see a huge one in this photo of Supreme:

https://www.adria-mobil.com/vans/twin#gallery-supreme-19-3

slightly smaller in Plus

https://www.adria-mobil.com/vans/twin/plus#gallery-plus-19-10

and I can't tell in Axess, could be either way

https://www.adria-mobil.com/vans/twin/axess#gallery-axess-19-3

360° view doesn't work for me right now

We had an Adria Twin for about 4 years and we both really liked it. There’s a large ‘boot’ under the fixed bed with enough space to easily hold all the paraphernalia required for several weeks touring. We usually tour for between 6 and 10 weeks.

There are two slight niggles. 1) The person sleeping on the inside of the transverse bed has to climb over the other to access the toilet. 2) The toilet/shower area is small and takes a little getting used to.

When we changed our ‘van last year we opted for another Adria pvc but this time with two longitudinal fixed twin beds.

Another advantage of both types of Adria is that the bed will hinge away and thus give a huge space to move large items if required.

PVC’s with the conventional sofa opposite the sliding door bed arrangement do not offer the large ‘boot’ space but do afford more living space.

We have always had pvc’s – five over about fifteen years and the last two Adrias have been those that we prefer. We have, as we have got older come to like fixed beds rather than having to make beds up every evening.

Of course, as with most things it’s a matter of personal choice.

Cattwg :-D

Once again, many thanks for all the information given by the helpful people on the forum

We have the same issue regards the transverse bed above the garage on our current Hymet S770G. Climbing over each other to get to the toilet.
We will be taking all existing comments and any more that becomes available. 
I also like the idea of the Globecar campscout with its elevated bed, but that leaves us with the same issue regards night time ablutions.
We can do without the dinette seats as there are only two of us, so the captain chairs will be used for seating at meal times as well
I'll keep you posted on our future decisions 

Thai Bry - 2018-09-06 6:54 PM

I also like the idea of the Globecar campscout with its elevated bed, but that leaves us with the same issue regards night time ablutions.

A standard Campscout has longitudinal beds, no climbing over each other to get to the toilet, also in use the toilet/shower is much bigger than the likes of a twin, the slight downside is when in use it restricts access to the fridge and galley drawers, but as I always say, "how much time do you spend in the shower".

New 2019 Adria Twin 600 with Sky roof has a compressor fridge in continental spec. A dealer assures

me UK models will have a 3 way fridge. I look forward to seeing one. I note that new Burstner and

Knaus PVCs also have compressor fridges, an unwelcome trend presumably to cut costs.

nyk - 2018-09-06 11:29 PM

New 2019 Adria Twin 600 with Sky roof has a compressor fridge in continental spec. A dealer assures

me UK models will have a 3 way fridge. I look forward to seeing one. I note that new Burstner and

Knaus PVCs also have compressor fridges, an unwelcome trend presumably to cut costs.

We have a Thetford compressor fridge in our Globecar and very pleased with the performance of it, I also installed 200 watt of solar and an extra leisure battery.

Another good thing no fridge vents outside to let any damp in.

John.

colin - 2018-09-06 7:13 PM
Thai Bry - 2018-09-06 6:54 PMI also like the idea of the Globecar campscout with its elevated bed, but that leaves us with the same issue regards night time ablutions.
A standard Campscout has longitudinal beds, no climbing over each other to get to the toilet, also in use the toilet/shower is much bigger than the likes of a twin, the slight downside is when in use it restricts access to the fridge and galley drawers, but as I always say, "how much time do you spend in the shower".
Many thanks Colin for your valued input. I understand the value of not climbing over each other to get to the toilet.i never start the breakfast cooking until all washed in the toilet
We will look at other models in the Globecar range
Many thanks for the information 

2019 Twin brochure does seem to confirm compressor fridges:

https://uk.adria-mobil.com/media/files/000/001/129/hd/adria-vans-2019-gb.pdf

Hi,

I have owned an Adria Twin 640 for almost 3 years, having previously owned several 'plastic vans'. The extra 40cm in length is a vast improvement on the 6m version, providing two full-length beds, or one enormous one. Width is less than conventional motorhomes, making parking in supermarket car parks much easier. The Adria Twin 640 drives like a car and corners well, without 'roll'.

Returns 33 mpg from its 2.3L Fiat engine/manual box. It has cruise control for added convenience.

If cooking is your thing on holiday, you are a little restricted by the 2x burner hob, but after all, you are on holiday.

The Twin is fully winterised, with inboard water tank, insulation, hearing etc. We have had several winter holidays with snow and temperatures down to -5C and have been as warm as toast. Winter tyres were fitted and proved very satisfactory.

Would I buy another one? YES

equitable - 2018-09-09 8:21 PM

I had a compressor fridge in my previous Swift motorhome, and found it woke me up at night, switching on and off. Rather irritating unless you are a 'sound sleeper'.

The Thetford compressor in our PVC has a night setting which is very quiet indeed, my wife is a light sleeper but the fridge has never disturbed her.

John.

New 2019 Adria Twin 600 with Sky roof has a compressor fridge in continental spec.

A dealer assures me UK models will have a 3 way fridge. I look forward to seeing one. I note that new Burstner and Knaus PVCs also have compressor fridges, an unwelcome trend presumably to cut costs.

We are seeing and hearing of vehicles with 12v Compressor Fridges taking a heavy toll on the 12v systems.

Expect battery life to be very short and to run down fast outside of the main Solar harvesting months, April to August.

In mid Winter the average 200w Solar solution will deliver just 10Ah a day when Waeco say the MDC65 will draw about 30Ah a day.

Obviously twin big batteries can keep up to an extent, but they will get a very, very hard time.

Suggest anyone going for a compressor Fridge is prepared to keep on the move so the Alternator helps out with 12v battery charging.

We have created a 'discussion document' on a new web page on Compressor refrigerators : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/compressor-fridge-12v.php

Installing a compressor Fridge in a PVC will reduce cost for the installer by a significant amount, so quite an incentive on their part to 'promote it'.

We suggest you look at how you will use the vehicle, if it's all year round, then do your own Solar calculation to see if it is actually fit for purpose.

The web page noted above helps you do that, including showing angles of the Sun in the sky in different parts of the world to demonstrate how that affects the Solar Harvest depending on where you are and the month.

A 12v compressor fridge used in southern Spain in summer will perform a whole lot differently to one in the UK in Winter where 100w Solar won't be enough to power a light bulb, let alone a Fridge.

Hi Allan, I have 200watt of solar and two 95ah AGM batteries, a Schaudt LRM1218 solar regulator going to an EBL119. Our Globecar is fitted with a Thetford compressor fridge, would installing a Schaudt WA12145 work with the system that I have got.

Also once again a big thank you Allan for all your help now and in the past.

John.

artheytrate - 2018-09-10 8:13 AM

Hi Allan, I have 200watt of solar and two 95ah AGM batteries, a Schaudt LRM1218 solar regulator going to an EBL119. Our Globecar is fitted with a Thetford compressor fridge, would installing a Schaudt WA12145 work with the system that I have got.

Also once again a big thank you Allan for all your help now and in the past.

John.

Hello John, You are welcome.

Yes the WA 12125 (25amp version) or 45 (45 amp version) is the recommendation from Schaudt for your vehicle. It will also help get the Alternator charge up to 14.7v for your AGM batteries. For a supplier try Brownhills, maybe via the Solar Schaudt regulator adverts on ebay?

Don't let the installer fit it like the usual B2B, it must fit near the EBL 119 with the WA12125 'inserted' into the Starter battery feed at the back of the EBL.

In other words locate the Starter Battery feed at the back of the EBL, run this existing wire to the WA121xx Starter Positive IN, then wire the '+ Out' of the WA into the 'Choc Block' connector you have just removed the Red/Rot Starter feed from on the EBL. See photo below.

NOT direct Battery to battery like most rubbish installs we see.

Run the WA121xx Negative/Earth back to the Starter battery Negative/Earth terminal where there will already be a Brown Negative running onto the EBL99 so you don't need to wire that.

That way the EBL 99 will work EXACTLY as before, but it now has an AGM compatible 14.7v charge in from the Alternator, so the AGM's will get properly charged from the Alternator. Potentially increasing total battery capacity by 15%.

I would normally say that for 2 x 90Ah batteries the 25amp/WA12125 will be big enough, but with a compressor Fridge and two AGM's that might try and draw more power, it may not be the fastest charging option and the WA12145 might be a safer bet?

737301308_SchaudtElektroblockEBLrearview.jpg.8f4b32fe3cfe4a3c681fdabbe9fd645d.jpg

We have a LHD 2016 Adria twin that we purchased in Germany. It has the Thetford compressor fridge with the night mode and when selected it slows the compressor down and while its quieter it seems to run longer as a trade off. We had an issue where the freezer kept defrosting and then I read the manual and it says in cooler conditions you need to have a minimum setting of 4 (scale is 1 - 5) this is the opposite to what you would expect as when its cooler then you think you could turn the setting down? anyway it seems ok now we are aware of this and otherwise we are happy with the performance and we have tested in mid 30's this summer. We chose the 600SPT as we wanted to stay under 6 meters (5.98) as ferries and bridges up North double if you go over 6m and we spend a fair bit of time in Scandinavia as thats where the van is now registered and stored. We found the space was adequate for us and the toilet shower has a roller door that takes up much less space than the older model with solid walls. Our Twin is based on a Citroen Jumper (Relay) and needs adblue but the fuel economy is very good and we averaged 36MPG on the last trip up to Norway and Northern Sweden (6000km), speeds are lower however (90kmh) so this helps fuel economy.

Archived