Advice on Bikes

Guest Eddy Durrant

Guest Eddy Durrant
Hi there, I'm looking to buy 2 second-hand foldaway bikes for my wife and I so that we can keep up with the dogs when we are walking them.!!!!!!!!!! I would appreciate any advice that is on offer with regards to best makes and practicability. Better still are there any Motorhomers/Campers/Caravanners that may have bikes to sell. Regards Eddy(D)

Guest Brian Kirby
Eddy Only the obvious, that dogs and bikes are a bad mix when the dog walker is on the bike and the dog on a leash. It's a famously good way to fall off! With apologies Take care Brian

Eddy Do a search of the forum entitled: Folding cycle This will bring up a previous posting about folding bikes which you may find useful. We used to ride our folding bikes with the dog running besides us (no leads) and they used to love it. Just be careful that they don't dash in front of you though otherwise you'll find yourself swerving without thinking and probably ending up in a bramble patch in a crumpled heap with the dogs jumping all over you!

Just make sure that the dogs really DO like to keep up with you on bikes. I have seen too many owners riding bikes where the dog is really straining to keep up. This is not because it likes the excersise, more like it is panicing that it is going to be left behind and abandoned. As well as making it nervous, it can put a strain on the heart. This is not usually recommended as good practice for excersising dogs.

Bob Totally agree that you've got to be sensible when riding bikes and exercising dogs. We do it for a bit of fun now and again, not all the time, and only in off road areas like bridle paths etc which means we can't go too fast (we're too knackered anyway!). What I really hate to see is when people have dogs and they carry them everywhere, not just the 'poorly' dogs but healthy dogs. We've got one dog (cross Jack Russell Alsation - yes, the mother was the Jack Russell!) - we have to push her around in an adapted buggy most of the time as she has heart and kidney problems but then she is over 16 and we nearly lost her over the Christmas period ... 150 miles away from home, 3.00 am at the vets and £200 later ... she's still with us and jumps around like a mad flea .. and then falls over!!!!

Now then Norma, you're getting too frisky again!!! Your hubby will ban you from the forum if your not careful! We saw the mother who was a normal sized Jack Russell but didn't see the father so we assume he had short legs, either that or a stool was involved! Our Piggy (official name Kizzie but she looked like a little piglet when she was a pup and it stuck) looks like a slightly larger Jack Russell but with the colouring of an Alsation ... oh, and the big ears and bark to go with it!

There are always lots of folding bikes for sale in the MMM Mart, as Will says. Mostly described as little or never used. Which makes me think that lots of people buy these on the spur of the moment (especially at Shows) and then . . . put them up for sale. Try one for more than two circuits of the seller's shop/tent and be sure they really are the solution you want.

Archived