Advice on Sat dish on Tripod please

Guest Brian & Eve

Guest Brian & Eve
We are travelling down to Spain again soon and would like advice on a suitable Sat system that can be moved around easily. We would like to use a portable dish on a tripod, we do not wild camp so would not need to leave in a hurry!!! What size do we need to pick up radio stations and perhaps world news; can anyone recommend a make and a supplier. Any help would be much appreciated. We intend to travel down to the South of Spain (but not the Costa's), and perhaps into Portugal.

Guest brian
I've done this for the last 2 winters but intend to get a different system this year.To get any sort of signal you need at least a 80cm dish which is quite a sizeable thing and in my case had to be strapped to the bike rack.The Police can get a bit excited about that sort of overhang.No problem if you've got a garage I suppose.This year Im going to get a 60cm Omnisat crank up dish and will put up with limited reception.In my experience tripods and motorhomes are not compatable

Guest JohnP
I have just purchased an omnistat crank-up. Hope to set it up this weekend. Will let you know how it goes. Purchased from Melksham Satallites www.satelliteonline.co.uk. They are very helpful and the price is good at £349.00. The delivery was straight from Maxview the manufacturer in two days from date of order. Included carriage

Brian & Eve As Brian says, you will need a MINIMUM of 80cm. Look at the Germans in southern Spain, they use 1M plus dishes. Depending where you are, anything smaller than 80cm will either restrict your range of available channels or prevent you actually locking on to the satelite. By opting for a tripod-mount dish you can actually use a large one so long as you can store it for travel. Regards Neal

Guest jeanie
we have posted a similar query re globestat dish the problem of overhang/storage of larger dish is relevent as officialdom in many countries seems to be on the outlook for illegal loading of motorhomes. a difficult enough situation in the uk but attempting to argue the toss with a limited knowledge of the language is a non-starter. if a minimum 80 cm dish is required and storage is difficult then in theory the globestat dish eliminates the problems as it is thru the roof it simply replaces the old tv ariel in our van although it measures only 60cms (which fits in the available space on our roof very neatly) it has the reception of an 80cm dish...ALLEGEDLY !! please refer to our posting for a user review of the product kind regards jeanie

Archived