Affordable P.D.A.&G.P.S.

Guest David Powell

Guest David Powell
Thanks to Mel B, Paul, & John P, after putting all you helpful answers to my request together, and expanding my search from your starters, I have settled for a Destinator3 Acer n35 GPS handheld for £250. It seems to do everything a GPS/PDA should do, came loaded with UK/Ireland maps + two Europe maps to load via PC, Have not loaded Email, MSN, and all that stuff yet, but it navigates very well, even in thick fog when it was telling me the signal was too weak, and it is so simple to use, and fits in my shirt pocket for walk-abouts. Thanks to you all, and others, for your help. Long live the Forum!!!

Guest henry
Hello, Noted with interest your reply re gps system. Can you please tell me where one can be purchased, does it need a palm top (hich I have, unused)or does it come complete. Regards Henry

Guest David Powell
Hi Henry...Got it from Comet, they also sell you a 3 or 5 year cover for all eventualities. My final decision was made when the stores G.P.S. man told me the manager had one which I confirmed and he said he was chuffed to bits with it. It needs no other equipment to operate it, but if you need to set up the Email, internet explorer, MSN Messenger, etc. etc. you load that with your PC.[which I have not done yet] It comes loaded with UK and Ireland maps plus two western Europe maps on CD to load via your PC. The navigation is from door to door with a easy to follow ladies British voice directions perfectly clear and in plenty of time. As well as long distant, instructions are given at 500yds. 200yds and at the actual turning point. It also has 'points of interest' ie. if you need 'fuel', or 'food' just tell it and it takes you there. If you go for a walk, just put it in your shirt pocket, and when you have had enough, it will take you back to where you left your 'van. The PDA part is very useful as well, and I find the whole thing very easy to use, and for a doddering old git like me, who had to be trained by my Grandson how to get on "The Forum" is really saying something. Well worth popping around to Comet and having a look.

Archived