Air conditioning

flicka

Could this be a solution instead of heavy roof mounted expensive Air Conditioning Units that require EHU to be efficient.

https://totalcool.co.uk/

It's a British product similar to the Australian "Transcool" model.

Seen at Harrogate Show yesterday a small portable Air Cooler.

Runs on 12, 24v dc or mains.

Weighs only 2kg + 2litres of water & doesn't require external air source.

Capable of reducing air temperature by up to 45% (4 settings)

Has anyone any experience of use, especially whilst travelling as there didn't appear to be any means of securing it.

Deffheads - 2019-03-23 1:56 PM

Why are you motorhomers obsessed with A/C, Do you all have at home or got used to working environments with it, the idea of going to a hot place is to enjoy, not sit in a pampered box.

I think it simply shows what a varied bunch of people we are, from those that want to replicate their home comforts to those like my wife and I who would still prefer to be under canvas during the warm weather and resort to the van at other times of the year.

Incidentally I assume you’re a motorhomer too?

Flicka, have seen these at NEC for about the last 3-4 years - from a couple of manufacturers. The major drawback seems to be that they create a lot of moisture in the motorhome, which isn't always a good thing! Did seriously look at one a few years ago, but wasn't too impressed.

flicka - 2019-03-23 1:16 PM

Could this be a solution instead of heavy roof mounted expensive Air Conditioning Units that require EHU to be efficient.

www.totalcool.co.uk

Has anyone any experience of use, especially whilst travelling as there didn't appear to be any means of securing it.

I’ve not had any experience of this technology, although it has been around a long time, but my one reservation would be that it must raise humidity levels in the van. Dry heat like dry cold can be coped with. Humid heat however can be difficult to bear, presumably because the body has difficulty cooling down through perspiration evaporation. So like you, I’d be interested to know people’s experience of these machines.

Guest pelmetman

Having had aircon in my works van and cars, I did appreciate the facility on the rare occasion in the UK that they were useful .......and missed it in the camper ;-) ........

Now that we follow the sun........at ambient levels ........It's never been much of an issue B-) .......

Evaporative air conditioners have been around for a long time. In the dry country areas of OZ they are commonly seen fitted to the roof of houses to cool the inside down by blowing air over water. The cooler the water the lower the temperature of the air they will expel. Interestingly the windows in the house are generally left open to assist airflow. They do make the air more moist and as such work most efficiently in low humidity. I personally would not replace my aircon unit with one in the MH. Cheers,

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2019-03-25 3:36 PM

It is good for your furniture. And very popular in our club but you have to offer a roof light,. Go for it.

It's totally free standing Monique in can be placed on any flat surface, but there wete not securing points. it doesn't rely on an external air source.

Not sure if the same make but some friends of mine were telling me a few weeks ago they knew a mh'er who used a stand-alone unit like this in his van and he said it's very efficient. As long as you have available storage space i'd reckon it's a worthwhile investment.

On other mh forums i've read of owners with roof air-con who've ripped them off due to their inefficiency so it's worth taking a good look at this unit.

Deffheads - 2019-03-23 1:56 PM

Why are you motorhomers obsessed with A/C, Do you all have at home or got used to working environments with it, the idea of going to a hot place is to enjoy, not sit in a pampered box.

I wouldn't look on it as an 'obsession', more something most have become used to in their cars. A/c has been fitted as standard in virtually all cars for years now yet mh's have lagged way behind. When outdoor temps are in the high 30's then the inside of that "pampered" box quickly becomes more like an oven!

Archived