Airbag ecu

bikey

Hi all

Had ongoing problems with airbag and seatbelt warning lights x290 2.3 2014/15 Ih van

The warning lights have been on and off for a little while,

Garage plugged in and reader come up with fault B0100-49 ecu internal errors

Have disconnected habitation battery, and van battery waited 60mins while having dinner and held pos and neg leads together to draw down any current left in ecu

Have disconnected both underseat connectors and rejoined started up and bxxxxxxxx airbag light still on.

Have removed airbag ecu and will be sending hopefully for repair any one on here any recommendations for repairer?

Have heard of crash data in Liverpool any one used them good or bad results

Thanks hopefully Brian

hi brian

you could look for an ecu on ebay loads for sale very cheap i have replaced airbags on cars before

and just fitted a second hand ecu with no crash data on it,they all have serial numbers on

so easy to match up.

If you fit a replacement you need to program it to the vehicle. I haven't personally used Crashdata but I've seen and heard a lot of good remarks about them. If they cannot repair your ECU they will tell you, and they often have stock of replacement units which have been tested and confirmed as good.

Friend had same problem and we used Crash Data who were very helpful. This is what we did and how we helped them

REMOVE, REPAIR/REPLACE FAULTY ECU MODULE ON FIATS

AIR BAG WARNING LIGHT ON FIAT DUCATO

My friend has a motorhome built in 2015 based on a Fiat Ducato and noticed his airbag & seat belt tensioner warning lights illuminated on his dashboard. This is a known fault on Fiats and indicates a faulty ECU module which controls the airbags. Google suggested repair costs at main Fiat garages varying between £500 - >£1000 but also highlighted a company who could possibly repair the ECU

Crash Data were contacted and confirmed they could under certain circumstances repair the unit at a cost of £30-£60 and if not they could supply a new unit costing £180. The decision was made to remove the unit and send it to Crash Data who only accept units by post.

Removal Process (Carried out by John Hunter)

Disconnect battery and wait 30 minutes

DO NOT RE-CONNECT WITHOUT ECU UNIT INSTALLED

Remove unit which is situated on floor underneath cup holder on main dashboard. Unit was secured with 3 x 10mm nuts and 2 scart type plugs were removed. Noticed unit made in 2014.

Unit posted Tuesday, arrived Wednesday and was unable to be repaired. Also unit is no longer available and has been replaced with an updated model. However the airbag ECU has to be coded to the main ECU to enable them to talk to each other and Crash Data had never done this on an updated replacement unit but were willing to try and if it didn’t work they would take the unit back and replace with an un-coded unit which could be taken to a Fiat Dealership for coding.

Unit arrived Friday morning, re-fitted by reversing removal process, and 30 minutes later van was running perfectly

CRASH DATA

Throughout this process they have been helpful, courteous and professional. They now know that if units get updated and replaced they can take the code from your original unit and successfully code the new unit. I first contacted them by email on Saturday afternoon and within an hour I had a reply even though they were closed

Total cost including postage was £187.20 which was a massive saving

https://www.crashdata.co.uk/Default.asp

Hello folks,

I thought i should add here that the later ECU's do not need to be 'coded' by a dealer but as with all devices connected to the vehicle Can-Bus system they do have to be introduced to the system. You need a suitable diagnostic device such as Multi-ECUScan and run a procedure in the Can-bus menu called 'Proxi-Align'. It only takes a few minutes. During the process it will determine that the airbag ECU that it was expecting to see is not present and then by communicating with the replacement it will set up the new one and save the new data to the body computer module. This would be the only way to get the warning lamp to switch off and things to return to normal.

N

That's what I meant by "programming" Nick, although you explained it much more thoroughly ;-)

You are in effect causing the body computer's proxy (vehicle configuration) file to be re-written, and part of the procedure, after checking that everything is present and correct, is to distribute copies of the new proxy file to other nodes on the network so that other ECUs needing the interrogate it don't all have to queue to access a single node, but can distribute their calls and responses around the network to prevent delays in communication.

A few milliseconds delay in switching on the wipers might not seem important, but when it comes to activating an airbag or ABS/Stability Control it could matter.

Hi all

Just a quick update on my Airbag ECU problem

Sent the ecu to crash data in Liverpool on Monday at 1 pm record delivery

Received ecu back today at 11.15am installed ecu connected battery and started up.

Airbag light went out on startup and stayed out when engine running all now ok.

Crash data have rectified the fault and checked the ecu for any other faults

Total cost including registered postage both ways £71

Fingers crossed the problem now solved

Archived