Airbag failure check handbook

spospe

Whilst travelling on the M6 today at about 60 mph, there was a loud "peeeeeep" and the words "Airbag failure, check handbook" scrolled across the instrument display. The message disappeared after about 10 seconds and has not reappeared. There is nothing obviously wrong or not working at it should. I have a code reader and that does not show any stored error codes.

The vehicle is a 2013 build Peugeot Boxer and has done 35,000 miles. There has been no previous incident like this and the additional earth strap (so often recommended on this forum) has been fitted from new.

Any suggestions please, should I be worried?

spospe - 2019-03-23 5:05 PM

...I have a code reader and that does not show any stored error codes.

Michael,

Is your code reader an OBD II reader or a full all systems reader which read the SRS/airbag system?

Many OBD II readers cannot normally read anything other then legally mandated engine and emission related codes.

Keith.

Exactly the same happened to me last year. On returning from my trip I checked with MultiEcuScan and there were no fault codes stored. I have left well alone and the warning hasn't returned. I would suggest that you do the same and see what happens. If it reoccurs and stays on, that will be the time to get it investigated. The fact that the warning disappeared indicates that whatever triggered it has rectified itself, so probably one of those things. If it returns and stays on, you will need to get the fault code to pinpoint the cause unless you can see an obvious fault such as a broken or chafed wire.

Keithl - 2019-03-23 6:14 PM

Is your code reader an OBD II reader or a full all systems reader which read the SRS/airbag system?

Many OBD II readers cannot normally read anything other then legally mandated engine and emission related codes.

Keith.

It is an OBD II reader and so as you say may not be telling the whole truth.

I will do as suggested and see how it goes over the next few weeks when we do the NC 500 again.

Thanks for the replies and reassurances.

Archived