Airbag warning light

bikey

Hi all

Took van (fiat x290) Ih panel van for a 60mile run yesterday (Swindon shopping) about 6 miles into the journey the airbag warning & seatbelt warning lights came on

Started up for the return journey and around 2 minutes in the lights came on again and stayed on till we got home.

This morning I checked the wiring and connectors under the front seats all looked ok.

Took the van to my local garage who do all my mechanical work, put van on the diagnostic machine no faults shown on the airbag or seatbelt circuit.

So will be watching to see if it happens again.

Anyone else had this problem and if so what was the outcome.

Merry Christmas to you all

Brian

I had a similar issue on my 2015 build Fiat. The lights only glowed very faintly. It is a known fault on Fiats (not sure about the other similar brands). Mine was replaced under warranty. It seems that some of the components used in construction are cheap and not up to the job.

Google the fault for more information, in fact there is a thread running currently on another forum with someone who had similar. They had no joy with Fiat, although I don’t think they were aware of the extent of the issue and perhaps did not exert sufficient pressure.

I shall see if I can find the thread. There is a firm, Cartronix, I think, who can repair for about £150 as opposed to the £1000 plus for a new unit.

Davy

Davy,

Without reading the post you linked to it sounds as though you are referring to the Fiat dashboard warning light failure where they all glow dimly, but I think Brian may be suffering from the slightly less common Airbag (SRS) ECU failure.

Brian,

Does this thread sound reminiscent of you failure?

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Airbag-Warning-Light/50552/

Keith.

We had the same problem recently on the M40 on the way home to Stockport so quite a distance from home. Phoned our mechanic and he told us just to carry on and we would be ok to go straight to the our local garage Airbag, seat belt, ABS lights coming on and off. We discovered that if your vehicle battery is too low the power transfers from these lights to wherever is the most important. We did as instructed and it was found that although we needed a new battery we found that the alternator needed replacing and also a main fuse. After this was done we haven't had a problem, apparently it is something that Fiats have so that you can carry on driving until you can get to a mechanic.

Apparently Brian’s (bikey’s) PVC is 2015-vintage, which is just the right age for it to be afflicted by the well-known Ducato X290 instrument-cluster problem. This fault has various symptoms that usually involve the lights/symbols on the cluster’s display illuminating faintly at all times and/or some symbols illuminating incorrectly at full intensity. The problem was so commonplace that a Fiat agent would normally replace the complete instrument-cluster free-of-charge and without any argument (as Davy has said above).

As the airbag/seatbelt warning lights are no longer coming on on Brian’s motorhome and his garage’s diagnostic machine shows no faults, it’s really a matter of waiting to see if the phenomenon reoccurs. If it does, it can then be decided if it’s the instrument-cluster fault, the ECU problem Keith mentions, or something else.

(As far as I’m aware the X290 instrument-cluster fault is not normally sporadic, and when the lights/symbols start to light dimly or ’spurious’ lights illuminate, that problem will persist until the cluster is replaced.)

Morning

The instrument cluster was replaced 2 years ago this is the airbag & seat belt warning lights on dashboard & the yellow warning lights on the panel by the cup holders along with a warning ding followed by a message in the display check handbook

As I said earlier did not come on yesterday and no fault showed up on the diagnostic machine

(Good plug for local garage mechanic ex fiat garage) 15 minutes to set up and check everything wiring connecters etc no charge what would fiat dealer charge

So wait & see van had not been used for 6 weeks so as he said it could be condensation although I do keep a oil rad on very low to raise temperature on timer

Thanks for replies

Brian

It's not a symptom of the usual instrument cluster fault. If there are no fault codes stored, the cause is sporadic, which means that the fault is not constantly present. Probably a waiting game in all honesty to see if it becomes a persistent fault, at which time any codes can be retrieved to assist in pinpointing the cause.

One possible cause may be the SRS ECU which is situated on the cab floor under the central locker or cup holder. They can be prone to developing faults on motorhomes possibly due to condensation (which can be much worse on occupied vans in cold weather, than on vans used commercially) or electrical faults in the unit sometimes attributed again on motorhomes to the vehicle battery being allowed to go flat, incorrect battery disconnection and/or charging procedures etc.

You could also check the wiring under the vehicle at each wheel sensor for any obvious damage such as breaks or chewing by rodents.

There are companies that can fix corrupted or faulty SRS units for a reasonable price - or at least much less than the cost of a new SRS ECU, which is all that a main dealer would propose to fix the problem if a fault with that unit was indicated!

https://www.crashdata.co.uk/fiat-01370978080-airbag-module-repair-p/4496.htm

I understand that some have proven to be unrepairable due to internal corrosion though.

However, unless and until you can obtain a diagnostic fault code indicating the cause, and the warning lights continue to be sporadic, I would wait and see.

FWIW I had similar happen on my own van earlier this year, but the warning lights only came on once and cleared a few minutes later. No fault codes present by the time I was able to get it on a diagnostic reader, but the fault has not recurred since.

Mine came on and I sent the unit to Crash data who fixed it. When it came back it still lit up. Our local garage - setyres - put their machine on it and the fault was that the unit was not connecting to the vehicle...they" cleared all codes" and eventually found the appropriate one to clear. Since then it has been OK

Archived