Aire de Service in Pembrokeshire

Bill Ord

Hi, I've just been informed by Dawn Rogers that the e-mail address for your letters of support for the Aire de Service should now be directed to natalie.thomas@pembrokeshire.gov.uk it seems that they have had a lot of e-mails and are putting all the support for this issue into the hands of Natalie Thomas. Looks as though we may be making some progress this time, I've had confirmation of receipt of my e-mail. I'm advised that it is advisable to quote planning Application Reference 06/0305/PA and your postal address. Bill Ord

I recently did my bit following the information below. I sent an email to the council to the address provided by Dawn. I recieved a receipt from the council and an email of thanks from Dawn (as I cc'd her) Its all below including the recently recieved correspondence from Dawn. Please read in full and do your bit if you can. Thanks Clive NOTE the Council email address provided by Dawn is not the same as that provided by Bill Ord. dunno why? <> Your message To: Stewart.Longhurst@Pembrokeshire.gov.uk Cc: dawnrogers@btinternet.com Subject: Planning Application Reference: 06/0305/PA Sent: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:39:11 +0100 was delivered to the following recipient(s): Longhurst, Stewart on Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:53:21 +0100 MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:Cambria:EXCHANGE2 Dear Clive, Many thanks for your email with copy of your support for Seren Y Mor to Pembrokeshire County Council's planning department. Your support is greatly appreciated. Hoping for a successful outcome - I will let you know how we get on. Kind regards, Dawn ----- Original Message ---- From: clive..... To: Stewart.Longhurst@Pembrokeshire.gov.uk Cc: dawnrogers@btinternet.com Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 8:39:11 AM Subject: Planning Application Reference: 06/0305/PA Dear Sirs, We wish to support the Planning application for the Motorhome Stopover at Seren Y Mor, Old Amroth Road , Llanteg, Narberth, Pembrokeshire. Motorhomes are becoming an increasingly popular way for people to spend their leisure time and unlike continental Europe the UK is not particularly motorhome friendly. This is something that needs to be addressed. By and large motorhome owners are mature people, many frequently retired and have the potential to put a lot of revenue into the local economy where they are welcomed. Pembrokeshire does need this facility. Please give this application your positive approval. Yours faithfully Clive Mott-Gotobed Motorhome technical Consultant. (And Motorhome owner) Seren Y Mor Motorhome Stopover/Aire de Service Old Amroth Road, Llanteg, Pembrokeshire “Second Chance” Planning Application Dawns request for help :- PLEASE HELP! As previous supporters of the planning application for the development of the first privately developed Motorhome Stopover/Aire de Service in the UK, I am writing to ask you once again for your help, please. We are at a crucial stage of the prolonged planning procedure. Unfortunately, in the process of the first submission of our plans, only one letter from Brownhills Motorhomes was actually registered in support of the application, with 16 letters of objection received by the council. We had received 76 letters and emails of support, which were all submitted directly to Pembrokeshire County Council in four folders of supporting evidence, including copies of the magazine articles, photographs and information regarding the popular Aires de Services on the Continent. We can only assume that as the letters had not actually been posted directly to the Planning Department of Pembrokeshire County Council, they were not officially recorded, resulting in a false impression of the level of opposition compared to the level of support for the project. Our revised “second chance” plans have now been registered in the Planning Department of Pembrokeshire County Council for consideration. Under the provisions of the Regulations the Local Planning Authority is responsible for advertising the proposal on site, so the relevant planning notice has just been displayed again. We have until the 14th July 2006 to submit any comments regarding the proposed Motorhome Stopover/Aire de Service, Seren Y Mor, in Llanteg, direct to Mr D M Lawrence, Head of Planning. Similarly, the local community has again been given the opportunity to comment and we are anticipating more objections. For those who like to visit Pembrokeshire in their motorhomes and are familiar with our beautiful coastline, we are sorry to say that many of the previously available parking areas are now subject to signs stating ‘NO OVERNIGHT PARKING CLAMPING IN OPERATION’ or ‘Mobile shops, overnight Caravans and Caravanettes prohibited’. Across the UK more and more potential parking areas are being made inaccessible to motorhomes with height-barring and similar signs becoming a regular feature. The only way forward would seem to be to develop a network of motorhome stopovers, run by motorcaravanners for others who enjoy this unique way of touring. Please help us to get this first one off the ground! We are hoping that planning permission granted for Seren Y Mor would encourage other county councils to permit similar small tourism developments specifically for motorhomes in their own counties. It is essential for us to highlight the positive advantages of having a designated motorhome stopover for motorhomes on tour such as are currently available throughout mainland Europe - this year there are now over 7,000 Aires de Services, with more being developed every year. When we first embarked on this project there were approximately 2,000, so they must be fulfilling a need successfully for motorcaravanners on the Continent. Please alert the Planning Officers to the potential advantages of a designated motorhome stopover, highlighting the differences between the needs of caravanners and those who choose to tour in a motorhome. Points such as the inaccessibility of many caravan parks, limited access and facilities for motorhomes, unnecessary amenities incurring additional expenses, unsuitability of parking areas for motorhomes, short summer tourist season not suitable for year-round touring for motorhome tourists who like to visit Pembrokeshire during the winter months, and so on. Positive advantages to the local community and businesses, tourism industry, (52 weeks of the year), disabled motorcaravanners and those of retirement age, families touring with young children, those travelling long distances to and from the ferry ports of Fishguard and Pembroke Dock en route to Ireland, are all additional points to make. The motorhome stopover is an important trunk road facility in terms of a picnic and rest area for tired drivers, allowing a stop over for a few hours or up to 48 hours as required in a safe and secure environment. There are currently no provisions for the basic requirements of motorhomes on the main routes to and from ferry ports in the UK. As fellow motorcaravanners you are all aware of the benefits that many of us have been fortunate enough to enjoy abroad, or have read about and discussed with other motorhome owners, but these are just some of the potential advantages that we could bring to the attention of the Planning Officers. The location for Seren Y Mor has been carefully chosen for its accessibility just off the Old Amroth Road, close to the main A477 trunk road into Pembrokeshire. It would make an ideal base for touring the county on holiday, or as a rest stop for the ports. Its location on the outskirts of the village means that it would offer a private retreat, not overlooked by other properties in the vicinity, benefiting both the local community and the motorhome tourists. You may be interested to learn that some of the objections mentioned points such as, ‘noise’, ‘the likelihood of inviting potential non-desirables into the community’,(no comment), long-staying visitors, ‘vehicles being dumped at the facility’, ‘LNG workers’ turning the site into a ‘work camp’, ‘no local support’ (not true), dangerous motorhomes turning right into the access, increasing risk of road accidents, HGVs overtaking at the cross roads, ‘potential abuse of the facility as a meeting place for drug related users and other unlawful acts’ and ‘the problem of sewerage disposal, litter, dogs fouling etc.’(I kid you not!) As you can see, an element of scare-mongering has evidently crept into the process, which we are striving to correct. We would be most grateful if you could find the time to write directly to: Mr D.M.Lawrence Head of Planning Pembrokeshire County Council County Hall Haverfordwest Pembrokeshire SA61 1TP Or as we are short of time you can e-mail - Stewart.Longhurst@Pembrokeshire.gov.uk Planning Application Reference: 06/0305/PA Proposal: Engineering operations and landscaping in conjunction with the establishment of a motorhome stopover/Aire de Service and recreational picnic area. Site Address: Seren y Mor, Old Amroth Road, Llanteg, Narberth, Pembrokeshire. Web site: www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk Every single letter or email will count and is important to us, so please support this venture. If you are able to pass this information on to any of your motorcaravanning friends to gather some additional support for this venture, please encourage them to write a letter of support to the Planning Department. Hoping for a positive result! Gratefully yours, Dawn Rogers Tel: 01239 832023 Email: dawnrogers@btinternet.com Address: 23, Llain Drigarn, Crymych, Pembrokeshire SA41 3RF

Guest starspirit
May I link this item to my thread headed 'responsible wild campong' please. This is simply to encourage as much support for Dawn Rogers as possible in her fight with Pembrokeshire County Council. This council are yet another Motor Caravan unfriendly local authority which wants to try and herd us all onto established caravan sites. They are control freaks who need to be educated so please add your support for this crucial UK mainland first Aire de service. Thanks Richard

Just sent my reply to Natalie Thomas. COME ON ALL YOU MOTORHOMERS.WOULD EVERYONE JUST TAKE 10/15 MINUTES TO HELP THIS WORTHWHILE CAUSE.AFTER ALL IT`S FOR ALL OUR BENEFITS (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!)

Guest starspirit
Come on folks this brave lady who is prepared to put up her own money to help us motor homers needs and deserves our support. And no, I am not related and have never met her! Thanks.

Archived