Aires along the Moselle and Rhone

Charles Chodkowski

Plenty of places / stellplatz's along the Moselle.

We've been touring Germany for the last 20 yrs, using stellplatz's along the Moselle, Rhine, Maine & Neckar rivers.

Some of the Moselle ones that we use on a regular basis are:-
Zeltingen-Rachtig, Neef, Zell, Erzig, Traban-Trabach, Brauneberg, Minheim, Piesport, to mention just a few.
Most sites are where the fees are collected by the local council on an evening. Other's like Zeltingen, have a machine where you can pay for your night's stay.
Some sites include EHU, others you pay €1 for 2KW. All stellplatz's will have both a chemical toilet & waste water dump point .Some sites will also charge for water, again €1 for water - you get a short time for this, other sites you will be able to get water for free.
Sites like Neef & Minheim even have a baker's van that comes around in the morning, so you can buy your bread. Other sites you will be able to walk into the local village to the baker's and other shops.
Sites I've mentioned are quiet, no on site  clubhouse facilities.
As others have mentioned, the riverside places generally fill up early.
Some of the larger sites, you'll be able to pitch up away from the river.
Other towns along the Moselle, will even allow you to stay on specific park places overnight, but without any EHU or waste points.
Some sites even have dividing barriers between pitches, so you're not parked so close to each other.
Cycle ways are always well away from road traffic, unless you're in town centres, so you'll be able to cycle safely.
You will be able to get a map showing stellplatz's, even some of the Weingut's( Wine merchants) have areas where you can park with the same facilities as a stellplatz.
Hope this info helps.

colin - 2019-09-04 9:45 AM

Our experience is anything right next to river will fill up early and be packed most of day, just a few hundred yards from the river and you are much more likely to find a spot, in hills overlooking river any sites will be mainly empty.

I.d have to agree with this post did you mean Rhone or Rhine

I would just take pot luck on the Moselle as your literally tripping over Stellplatz. Some are better than others, the key thing I found is to pick one as far away from the road as possible as it can be busy but maybe not so much back end.

As for the Rhone to me its a bit boring and industrial in places. What surrounds it on either side though west and east is not.

As one poster mentions Minheim is one of our frequently used favourates but just about 20k further along the river also is Kinheim another favourite and its much larger with usually plenty of space to spread out either by the river of further away up the field nearer to the village - both have bread vans visiting each morning :-D

Be aware that the wine festival season is under way on the Mosel. You are unlikely to find space on any of the Stellplätze in the vicinity of a village holding one ( though further afield is usually OK).

A couple of our favourites are Brauneburg (already mentioned) and Wintrich, which both suffer from the above.

It seems to me that the Mosel has become much busier in the last few years.

Archived