Albania

laimeduck

A couple of 60 year old ladies from New Zealand whom I know have just completed several weeks cycling around Albania & Montenegro on their own and with no assistance. They had a great time and their description & photos are stunning.

I am interested in taking our motorhome there possibly next year via Croatia etc. (and then maybe on into Greece.

I am well aware that there may be insurance obstacles etc, but has anyone on here actually been to Albania - done it, and have any recommendations as to roads, sites etc within Albania?

I am not interested in routes to Albania or using ferries via Italy.

(I imagine Bulletguy may have done it - he seems to have been everywhere else off the beaten track!)

Any info or links would be welcome.

Thanks

Jeremy

Steve H - 2019-07-04 5:03 PM

Jeremy

Use the 'Search our Forums' facility. I posted something on there which may be of help, as I'm sure others have.

Good luck!

Steve hi - yes I did search but only for the last 12 months. Now I have seen your post & that is useful but as I'm looking to stay in Albania for some time I was looking for more. Where are the campsites? How does one find them. What are prices like etc . Places to visit with motorhome etc. The 2 cycling ladies have given me some info hut only bike related!

Been there a few times. There's so many with MH in the summer that I wouldn't call this exactly off the beaten path. Plenty of campsites along the coast, not that hard to wildcamp anywhere else. Prices are still reasonable. Contrary to reputation, most roads are perfectly normal.

Jeremy,

Albania is well worth visiting but be prepared for high temps. When i first visited in 2013 it was in the high 30s every day which, if driving, can get tiring. Major roads are pretty ok but smaller roads have an odd habit of suddenly 'disappearing' into rough surface or unmade cart tracks only to emerge again further along. Kruje is worth a visit for the bazaar alone (behind the Hotel Panorama which you can't miss as it's massive - super luxurious interior decor, refreshing air-con and excellent meals!). The locals are extremely helpful and very friendly but don't be shocked if you pull on a service station to fill up and the attendant is sitting outside smoking a fag......you're not in UK!

As spirou mentioned wild camping is possible though there are quite a few sites along the coast but also some inland and you will find this link useful for both Albania and Montenegro;

https://www.camping-balkan.net/

Download the pdf file off that link which gives you lots of sites all with GPS co-ordinates. Bosnia, Serbia and Macedonia are also included so hope i've tempted you!

Insurance is green card and mine cost nothing (with Scenic), but cover of these countries changes from one year to the next so you might have to shop around a bit. Plenty of tourists but don't expect to find any Brit travelers.....most are NL plated mh's. One Dutch couple i met were off to Mongolia.

Montenegro is nice once north of Podgorica which has some pretty odd driving habits....not unusual for a local to stop half way round a roundabout to have a conversation! Don't miss out on seeing the Tara bridge which spans the Tara river 170m below, Europes deepest canyon. A good photo opportunity on the approach but any pics off the bridge you will need to walk as the roadway on the bridge isn't wide enough to park. There's a few coffee bars and stalls flogging tourist tat where you can park up. All national park area around there so really amazing scenery.

laimeduck - 2019-07-09 10:47 PM

Thanks BG

I'll have a look at the pdf at my leisure, but that is the sort of info I wanted.

I may well come back to you with more questions soon.

Cheers

Jeremy

Glad to be of help. It's pretty comprehensive. I loaded it on my laptop but also took hard copy in the way of print outs which saved firing up the laptop.....also had it on disc. Just a case of 'belts 'n braces' more than anything.

Archived