Alde heating fluid change

petenbev

I've done my own (twice). I don't think I'd call it tricky but you do need to be methodical and understand what you're doing. There are videos on Youtube. As for equipment, 2 buckets, 2 lengths of car heater hose and a submersible pump works for me, although the first time I used the circulation pump already present in the system and that worked fine too.

tonyishuk - 2019-04-04 9:57 AM

Is this new fangled wet system worth the added expense of maintenance and weight ?

In all likelihood , when (if) I make my next purchase, this may be the only option.

We bought our vehicle new from stock, and it had the Alde heating fitted - so we had no choice.

That said, and having always had Truma blown air before, I would go for Alde again. I'm not aware that it's much extra weight, but it gives a lovely even heat just like domestic heating at home, and is almost silent. Depends if you are a cold weather traveller, which we are, and we find the warmth much more even and pleasant throughout the van. The downside is that it takes slightly longer to get up to temperature, but it's worth it.

The only advice I would give to anyone contemplating Alde, it to make sure you also have the engine heat exchanger fitted as well. It's a brilliant piece of kit, usually fitted underneath one of the cab seats, and connects the Alde system with your radiator coolant. Switch this on before you set off, and when you arrive the whole van is lovely and warm (to the temperature you have set on the Alde console), and its cost nothing! We were lucky that Laika had thought to fit this as well.

Regards,

My 4 years Alde on A class is as follows. They can heat up anything from the rear garage space up to the front window. Thru underfloor spacing, under the seats, and above floor in the rear beds and bathroom. They place a radiator where is place. or tubes.To clean them is quite impossble , because the grills are push fit and can not be opened to clean, or air relief. Fluid change only by a alde automatic air relief tool piping system. You just can not reach all the manual air purgers per radiator. The engine heat exchanger has two steps, heat up your engine coolant by the gas boiler which is very nice to start cold and vice versa to heat up the boiler by the engine. A fiat ducato takes 30 minutes to heat up your house. Whit alde you can start warm overall, engine and house.

My 4 years Alde on A class is as follows. They can heat up anything from the rear garage space up to the front window. Thru underfloor spacing, under the seats, and above floor in the rear beds and bathroom. They place a radiator where is place. or tubes.To clean them is quite impossble , because the grills are push fit and can not be opened to clean, or air relief. Fluid change only by a alde automatic air relief tool piping system. You just can not reach all the manual air purgers per radiator. The engine heat exchanger has two steps, heat up your engine coolant by the gas boiler which is very nice to start cold and vice versa to heat up the boiler by the engine. A fiat ducato takes 30 minutes to heat up your house. Whit alde you can start warm overall, engine and house.

tonyishuk - 2019-04-04 9:57 AM

Call me old fashioned but :

Is this new fangled wet system worth the added expense of maintenance and weight ?

In all likelihood , when (if) I make my next purchase, this may be the only option.

Just wondering ?

Rgds

In a simple word YES

I had suffered greatly with my old Hymer Van in winter conditions, because the system would constantly drop water below 5 degrees. On a winter trip to Ukraine and Romania, we would have to check into a hotel at least once a week for proper ablutions.

When we ordered a new MLT we ordered the optional "arctic pack" which includes the Alde system and heat exchanger. It is well worth the money in our opinion, especially with an app that allows you to pre-heat your van from your phone as you return from a cold and blustery tramp in the hills.

Archived