Alde servicing query

curdle

I consulted the Alde website and booked an approved mobile service agent to service my Alde unit and replace the glycol in a Hymer MLT. 2 technicians arrived with their mobile workshop and after peering in the various hatches they asked me where the header tank was. I showed them - it is mounted in a cupboard above one of the single bed's. After much head scratching they told me they would not be able to do anything because their pump kit for draining the glycol could not fit in the space above the tank, without dismantling the cupboard. They said that it is the first time they have seen such a layout and would need to talk to Alde to see if there is an alternative solution.

They left and so far I have not heard back from them. The waiting list for the service was already 6 weeks from contact. Does anyone out there have a similar setup that could describe the procedure used to replace the glycol?

On our Aspire I undid the drain located underneath at the rear of the close to the boiler, when it stopped running out I undid the bleed valves by each radiator fin. Left it to drain, tightened all the bleeds and drain, put fresh liquid in undid the drain till the last of the blue ran out, as I had put the longer life pink in. Topped up header, bled the fins with the system off. Ran it up for 30 mins turned off bleed again topped up jobs a go one.

weldted - 2021-02-27 8:29 PM

On our Aspire I undid the drain located underneath at the rear of the close to the boiler, when it stopped running out I undid the bleed valves by each radiator fin. Left it to drain, tightened all the bleeds and drain, put fresh liquid in undid the drain till the last of the blue ran out, as I had put the longer life pink in. Topped up header, bled the fins with the system off. Ran it up for 30 mins turned off bleed again topped up jobs a go one.

Ah ha, I see the issue:

Plump Technicians (highly trained by Alde, mind) charging £200 arrive with nifty pump system that normally just slots into the header tank and connects to the inlet pipe. Job done. Now exercise thumb on on/off switch on the pump to drain the system. Now insert a feed into the new pink stuff and again toggle the 2nd pump switch. Main effort around the thumb.

Your method requires multiple actions, bleeding individual valves (risk assessment: potential slipped spanner, bruised knuckles, sore back muscles from bendng down, glycol spillage) manual transfer of glycol to the header tank, switch to monitor the drain (requires exit from the MH to a new location) sigh, back to the header tank, bleed the fins and, deeper sigh, yet more topping up. Exhaustion! I hope you rested after your not inconsiderable exertions. (!)

Archived