Alloy Wheels

Crispy

I'm looking at replacing the wheels on my Elddis Sunseeker 120 (2010) Peugeot Boxer base vehicle with alloys-purely to improve the look of the van but the more articles I read the more confused I am becoming (I.e load ratings etc). can anyone advise me what I should be looking for please? The tyres are Continental Vanco Camper 215/70-15 TIA.

I bought a set for the looks (sad I know), but make sure you get the correct bolts, they are different. This means you need to keep five of the old ones for your spare wheel, and the correct size wheel brace (also different)

Also, make sure that the high pressure valves will fit the contour of the alloy, mine were curved so screw in valves looked as if they may not be seated, so I bought metal cored valves instead.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-07-25 9:13 AM

(When you scrape one of the pretty alloy wheels on a high kerb, you’ll so wish you had stayed with the steel ones.)

In practice, I have found that the built in sidewall protection, on Michelin camping tyres, largely prevents this damage.

I have recently had my set of alloys refurbished,after 12yrs, but NOT for kerb damage, because there wasn't any, but because of brake dust damage, on the insides of the rims.

I have bumped the sidewalls, several times, but the alloys escaped any damage.

starvin marvin - 2017-07-25 1:11 PM

I've had alloy's on two of our 4 vans, and they are an absolute bugger to clean. Steel wheels every time for me!

At least alloy wheels don't rust and, if the right ones are chosen, are exceptionally easy to clean.

I find alloy wheels very easy to keep clean and would rather do this than try to deal with rust on steel wheels which I think is much more difficult. When we are out on the road I carry a bottle of spray on water and soap mix which is sprayed on every couple of days and wiped off with a cloth. This takes 5 minutes and keeps them looking like new. No doubt some people will say this is too much bother but really? 5 minutes is too much bother? No more bother surely than doing any of the other routine jobs like filling and emptying all the various tanks etc. When I get the van back homes I also clean the inside of the wheels as well as the underside of the van to prevent build-up of road grime and mud which promotes rust.

In comparison our spare is steel and when I checked this year it was showing signs of surface rust round the bolt holes and the rim so I sanded this down, treated with Kurust and painted with Hammerite and 3 months later it is just as bad as it was confirmimg that steel wheels are almost impossible to keep in good condition.

I really enjoy cleaning and polishing the van and our cars as I find it relaxing, especially alloy wheels.

Don636 - 2017-07-25 4:37 P

In comparison our spare is steel and when I checked this year it was showing signs of surface rust round the bolt holes and the rim so I sanded this down, treated with Kurust and painted with Hammerite and 3 months later it is just as bad as it was confirmimg that steel wheels are almost impossible to keep in good condition.

I really enjoy cleaning and polishing the van and our cars as I find it relaxing, especially alloy wheels.

Not a fair comparison IMO, as the steel spare is (presumably) underslung , therefore getting all the road dirt , and not turning therefore , it sticks to wheel. !

When we bought our van, we where offered alloys, for an extra £1 . Decided to decline, and stick with the steel ! Still pretty good after 11 years! Helps to have Wheel Trims , maybe?

PJay

My Pioneer Renoir came with 5 Peugeot factory fitted alloys ( one on each corner and a spare underslung at the back ) the spare did originally have a reinforced plastic bag covering it but I have had to renew it due to 11 years of wear and tear.

In order to maintain even tyre wear I change the wheels around twice a year, I remove one wheel and fit the spare then thoroughly clean and check/adjust the pressure of the one removed before doing the same with the next wheel, when all wheels have been swopped around the final task is to tighten all the bolts up to the correct torque (160 Nm / 118 ft lbs)

Phil

In reply to the comment the spare is under slung but does not get dirty as mud flaps are fitted and in any case the van gets jet washed underneath after every trip be it a weekend or a few weeks. My experience is that steel wheels always rust hence the addition of wheel trims to cover up the unsightly rust. Alloys greatly enhance the look of the van IMHO.

Don636 - 2017-07-26 5:07 PM

In reply to the comment the spare is under slung but does not get dirty as mud flaps are fitted and in any case the van gets jet washed underneath after every trip be it a weekend or a few weeks. My experience is that steel wheels always rust hence the addition of wheel trims to cover up the unsightly rust. Alloys greatly enhance the look of the van IMHO.

Unfortunately , we do not keep our van at home, so do not have the facility (or the inclination) to jet wash it.

we do have other hobbies,so time is restricted to the occasional clean/.polish, and hope the rain keeps the dirt to a minimum! I am sure if some of the many CAR washes around us had the facility to do it, we would take it to them. The car gets washed every week (sometimes twice)

PJay

Archived