Aluminium framing for rear of van

slowdriver

This is a long shot enquiry.

The camper van I have has a largish rear space that I’d like to utilise more efficiently by putting in some aluminium framing that can hold Euro-boxes. Fortunately the van I have is identical to one owned by a German couple who run a Youtube channel.

I attach a couple of screen shots from a video of the rear of their van that gives a good idea of what I want to install. [They have a large Lithium battery set-up on the left of both the attached pictures that can be ignored for my purposes.]

Otherwise my requirement is very similar.

Can anyone suggest where I might be able to buy such framing? The Euro-boxes themselves are easily sourced in a large variety of sizes.

Any suggestions as to where I can purchase such framing materials and fixings it would be most helpful.

(I have tried numerous google searches but the correct terminology is escaping me. Consequently I end up either with raw aluminium components or large shop/garage shelving systems.)

CamperklatschLaStradaEBrearstorageboxes2.thumb.jpg.edd32527e96150065f34c829f7cd6e1b.jpg

CamperklaschLaStradaEBrearstorageboxes1.thumb.jpg.2fc20f3cc5f19cec22c9b2f11389ba41.jpg

Many thanks

I am a complete idiot, it was an obvious place to look first. No doubt if I had added camper van or motorhome to the Google search terms Fiamma might have turned up on the list.

Many thanks. I shall get something ordered.

Many thanks

I did try exactly that search BUT while I refer to search engine searches generically as Goggle, what I actually use is Duck Duck Go which is sometimes inferior as a search engine, but has privacy related advantages.

So that may have been one reason why the Fiamma page link did not appear for me.

However having checked your suggested search terms on Google the Fiamma link does not come up until page 7, on my set up at least. I never would have made it that far.

I have something similar in the rear of our van. It is constructed of aluminium flat, angle, channel, and rectangular box section, and assembled with pop rivets. It is constructed as a "sled" that can be removed as required. It is retained in place by terylene buckle straps attached to Knaus pre-installed floor attachment points. All the angle was sourced from Amazon in 2018, and the supplier was B&T Metall und Kunststoff in Germany. Lengths cut to order. All arrived promptly, undamaged and sensibly packed.

slowdriver - 2020-07-11 11:24 AM

...However having checked your suggested search terms on Google the Fiamma link does not come up until page 7, on my set up at least. I never would have made it that far.

I was suggesting that a GOOGLE search might retrieve a more versatile and/or cost-effective approach than buying the Fiamma products that come in predefined sizes and certainly aren't cheap.

https://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/Fiamma-Garage-System/

Derek Uzzell - 2020-07-11 2:02 PM

slowdriver - 2020-07-11 11:24 AM

...However having checked your suggested search terms on Google the Fiamma link does not come up until page 7, on my set up at least. I never would have made it that far.

I was suggesting that a GOOGLE search might retrieve a more versatile and/or cost-effective approach than buying the Fiamma products that come in predefined sizes and certainly aren't cheap.

https://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/Fiamma-Garage-System/

Sorry I misinterpreted your point. Fiamma certainly are not cheap and I am still looking for components that I can use to build my own.

You could ask at any good metal supplier, the one I always use are Smiths Metals in Horsham Sussex, but I assume there are many similar outlets, Smiths are a very old established organization.

They will cut to your sizes for a price or you could buy complete lengths and cut them yourself, either way there will be off-cuts which will be scrap.

If you've not designed it yet remember to add some diagonals to stop it collapsing when on the move with weight. You should be able to work out a cost easily, I assume you have the necessary tools to cut and assemble everything, remember its not a kitchen table job!

The thicker the material the more costly, decorative extruded alloy that looks great and similar to your top picture could be three times the cost of basic aluminum alloy angle and is not the material to be used by the every-day person.

Note that Brian says his framework is attached to straps and floor attachment points and assembled with pop rivets, so the cost was minimal but it needed firm securing.

80/20 probably refers to the chemical elements in its construction ie light and tough. Note also that the Fiamma frames have angled brackets fixed to the cross members to prevent the frames collapsing.

My view of the Fiamma frames are good

An alternative, also light in weight, could be timber shelving units for IKEA, which I used to equip a box van trailer recently. These cost under £25 per 70cm-wide set of four shelves and come complete with four uprights and all necessary fastenings and stabilising spokes. The shelves can be fixed at various heights and the system is very adaptable. Each shelf can bear up to 150kg so they are plenty strong enough. The photo shows three units connected in a row and the left and one shortened row on the right. These are full height bit you could obviously reduce that as necessary.

Shelving2.jpg.1badefd2fad9f21719cb44d47045b6e0.jpg

I would be inclined to make something from wood. Widely available at a sensible price, no sharp edges or chafing to worry about, and making it yourself is the only way you can get the dimensions you want and utilise all available space.

Archived