American RV - 240v mains conversion

Guest Alan

Thinking of importing RV from America. Anyone know what's involved and how difficult/easy/cost this process is. Or anyone who has done this we would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

I have known of two approaches to this 110 / 240 volt problem. Lets consider the 240 volt / 110 volt isolating transformer first. American hookups are capable of far greater demand than is normally found in European camp sites. If one wants to be able to use ALL the 110 volt equipment on board at the same time then the transformer can be quite large and heavy, but not too heavy for a Yank. Look at the Spec. for the electrics for the van in question. Alternatively if one accepts the normal European limitation of 8 amps at 240 volts (nominal 2 kilowatt) then the transformer is not quite so large. This is the easiest approach. One comment, It is worth wiring in a couple of 13 amp 240 volt sockets into the van so that items like electric kettles, space heaters, TV and coffee machines obtained in the UK can be used directly. However, don't forget that the on-board Onan generator will be supplying a 110 volt 60 Hz supply. The transformer will be supplying a 110 volt 50 Hz supply, so items like electric clocks will run 17% slow. Incandescent lighting won't mind 50 or 60 Hz. The American TV will not work in Europe. If the fridges have compressors then these may not like 50 Hz?? If they work they will run 17% slow so will have 17% less cooling capability. I have also known a DIY exponent who stripped out all the 110 volt wiring and fittings and replaced it all with European wiring and fittings saving over 100 pounds of weight. But this is a lot of work and he was in the trade.

I have carried out this conversion I repaced the us plug sockets in the RV with uk ones this circuit was separate to the fridge, ac and microwave circuits then wired this to the 240v hook up which was also wired to the 240/110v transformer. The 110v circuits were wired to the the 110v side of the transformer along with a hook up lead with a yellow 110plug that could be plugged into a socket fed by the generator. So that on 240v hook up every thing worked and then if there was no hook up the generator could provide 110v which the transformer coverts to 240v. I arranged the 2 hook ups at rightangles to each other so that only one could be used at any one time. Hope this helps. Pat

Archived