Angles Mort signs

Den

We have a Carthago 143 slimline

Just been reading a couple of forums and it seems very few have them fitted.

Are you in or recently returned from France noticed how many have the signs fitted.

Or have you personally fitted them

Den

Hi Colin

Yes it’s the 143lE 6.95 mtr.

It’s a larger version of our Malibu we PX’d

Storage is superb and the general ride is very good.

Quality is excellent and I’m fully expecting no faults during my ownership.

Our 5 year old Malibu had 0 faults and no rattles.

The bed is really fantastic and perhaps when we change for another Cathago it’ll be the island model.

We purchased ours from Goeuropean and refitted our inverter, extra battery and tv etc.

I’d give both companies 5 stars.

Details of a Carthago C-Compactline I 143 LE model can be found here

https://www.southdownsmotorhomecentre.co.uk/2021-carthago-c-compactline-i-143-le-a-class-motorhome-n101683.html

The advertised motorhome's gross vehicle weight (GVW) is given as 4250kg, but I believe this model's GVW can either be 3500kg (light chassis) or 4250kg (heavy chassis).

In France only vehicles with a GVW exceeding 3500kg need carry the "Angles Morts" signs.

Previous forum threads that referred to the signs

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=angles+morts&author=&days=&Submit=Search

The French organisation FFCC advises as follows about the signage required on foreign-registered 'heavy' motorhomes being driven in France.

Foreign HGV motorhomes in France and signage

Are speed limit discs and blind spot stickers compulsory for foreigners driving in France?

Speed limits for heavy goods vehicles are governed by a European directive. Their application and the signs on vehicles come under the highway code of each Member State. Thus, out of the 26 members, only about ten impose specific marking on the vehicle, including France, and for vehicles registered in France . The Order of 23 November 1992 relating to the indication of maximum speeds on motor vehicles defines the conditions.

On the other hand, the signalling of blind spots, a specifically French regulation, applies to all vehicles circulating on public property in France, regardless of the country of registration. This is specified in its first article of the Order of January 5, 2021 implementing article R. 313-32-1 of the Highway Code relating to signs indicating blind spots on heavy vehicles.

Thus, foreign motorhome owners traveling in France with a motorhome whose GVW is greater than 3500kg are not subject to rear speed limit discs . However, they must carry blind spot warning displays.

Attention, this obligation is imposed on the vehicle (reference to the PTAC) driven with a category B license or not (B79 in France).

https://ffcc.fr/actualite/camping-cars-poids-lourds-etrangers-en-france-et-signalisation/

We have the stickers stored in the van but didn’t apply them last year when we went (Sept/Oct.). Our experience was that relatively few MHs had them displayed - mainly on very obviously large vans, liners, tag axle A classes, etc. Our Carthago is plated at 4250 kg, so should have had them on, but was externally not obviously over 3500kg.

We do plan to apply them this year, but using a sheet of removable clear plastic protective film as a base, so we can remove and reapply them as needed. The film we got from Amazon is Luxshield Paint Protection Film Vinyl, but I think there are other and possibly cheaper products. I’ve not used it yet, so cannot comment how well it works!

One point to bear in mind is that in the other forum discussions various people have claimed you only need to use the stickers in urban areas. I believe that this clause may have been discussed when the decree was first mooted, but despite my asking on several occasions for a definitive source on its inclusion in the final law, no one has come up with proof! Mentioning it here because I know that if anyone will know this, it’s Derek Uzzell!

There are websites that claim that Angles Morts signs need to be fixed to vehicles only when these are being driven in urban areas, but (realistically and logically) this would be a peculiar limitation, never mind being difficult to police.

I've no idea where this 'only in urban areas' idea came from, though there's no doubt that the regulation is aimed at reducing pedestrian/cyclist accidents in cities/towns/villages.

Anyway, the relevant French Decree definitely does NOT limit the law to urban areas.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/article_lc/LEGIARTI000042534807

we have just come back, a few had them a few didn't 50/50 I would say, I put 2 magnetic ones on the cab doors and a sticker on a plastic sheet held on with 4 suckers on the back, then took them off when got to Spain cos they are awful and IMHO if a cyclist is stupid enough to come up the inside of a vehicle then they shouldn't be riding! and chatting to the missus on the drive down and back the wagons have that many stickers on the back that the cyclist would have to spend an age reading them all (lol) and lose concentration and crash into the back if they braked.

Jonathan

I noted that most of the plus 3.5tonne commercials did have the AM signs displayed.

I did put mine on, easily removable magnetic variety. Certainly ugly, but from inside the

drivers seat I don't notice them! Couldn't care less what other people think.

The important thing to remember, is that in the event that you might clip someone and don't

have them displayed don't be surprised if the flics take exception, it is after all considered

a safety issue in France. Some m/homers seem to regard the displaying of a UK sign to

warrant greater significance.....it doesn't.

Failing to comply with the 'Angles Morts' regulations apparently attracts a 4th Class penalty.

Penalties incurred for a 4th class fine

For a 4th class offence, the amount of the fines is as follows: reduced fine of €90, fixed fine of €135, increased fine of €375 and a maximum fine of up to €750. To benefit from a reduction, the offender must pay the fine within 3 days if the report was delivered to him personally and within 15 days if he received the notice of violation by post. In the event of non-payment of the fines within the time allowed (after 45 days), the fine will be increased.

• 5 weeks later...

Just returned from Spain / France.

Although my MH didn’t require the A M signs, I decided to put them on.

MH being an Aclass looks heavier than it is and didn’t want any problems

On the way out 3 of us were pulled to one side and not just for checking the gas.

The 2 in front of me I’m guessing we’re on the heavy chassis and did not display signs.

2 uniformed gents walked around ours and waved us through.

We then pulled into the checking lane for gas and that was it.

After 5 mins we drove off.

In my mirrors I could see the 2 MH’s still stationary?

I don’t know if it was food related or sign related.

In the end I stuck the sign directly on the rear and stuck the signs on to plastic sheet about 1.5mm thick and used some strong Velcro to attach to the MH.

Den

Archived